Labor Day Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs on RT-700

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmboiler

Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hi All,

Long time member, infrequent poster...

Recently bought a new RT-700 as I was growing tired of babysitting my propane garage-sale smoker. Decided to document today's cook.

Started out by skinning some chicken legs. Seasoned with SPOG:

IMG_2018.jpg

Wrapped in thinly-sliced bacon and secured with a toothpick:

IMG_2019.jpg

Stayed out on the boat too long so it was on to the RT-700 with a little less time than expected. Set at 300*.

IMG_2031.jpg

1 hour in. So far so good...

IMG_2032.jpg

2 hours in. Almost there...

IMG_2034.jpg

On a whim, decided to finish with a trio of commercial sauces:

IMG_2033.jpg

Time to eat!

IMG_2036.jpg

On the plate (with obligatory bleu cheese dressing on the side).

Wife: "What do you want with these things?"
Me: "Doesn't matter. No one remembers the side dishes anyway."
Wife: [eye roll] "Fine. Caesar Salad it is."
Me: "Sounds good to me..."

IMG-2038.jpg

Final Verdict: Very good. A bit biased as I would eat almost anything with buffalo sauce and bleu cheese. Bacon was perfect. I was surprised it didn't unravel with each bite but held on as if it were the original skin. Family liked it. Will definitely do these again.

Best,
dmboiler

Looks good. How do you like your RT-700?

Thanks. So far so good with the RT-700. I did a fair amount of research before buying and I feel the reviews of others are pretty spot on. In other words, no surprises yet!

Pros
  • Built like a tank. Very heavy and solid construction.
  • Seems to hold temperature well and is quick to rebound after opening the lid. I will say though that I have not yet done a long smoke so my thoughts here are very much preliminary.
Cons
  • Low smoke output, especially at temps above 275*. I was prepared for this after reading other reviews and already had a pellet tube to add more smoke if desired.
  • I like the design of the large hopper on the back of the unit. However, this does give the smoker an odd shape and getting the RT-branded cover on and off is much more cumbersome than I would like.
Regards,
dmboiler

Thanks. So far so good with the RT-700. I did a fair amount of research before buying and I feel the reviews of others are pretty spot on. In other words, no surprises yet!

Pros
  • Built like a tank. Very heavy and solid construction.
  • Seems to hold temperature well and is quick to rebound after opening the lid. I will say though that I have not yet done a long smoke so my thoughts here are very much preliminary.
Cons
  • Low smoke output, especially at temps above 275*. I was prepared for this after reading other reviews and already had a pellet tube to add more smoke if desired.
  • I like the design of the large hopper on the back of the unit. However, this does give the smoker an odd shape and getting the RT-branded cover on and off is much more cumbersome than I would like.
Regards,
dmboiler

Thanks dmboiler for your reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky