KOBE beef brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
My boss' parents are coming up from FL and bringing a 10lb Kobe beef brisket. I haven't attempted a brisket yet and now I'm smoking a $50 brisket!!
icon_eek.gif

I'm just going to treat this like a regular brisket or do you think I should make an adjustment for the Kobe beef?

If it's true Japanese Kobe beef, what you got there is'nt a 10 lb, $50 brisket.
It's a 10 lb, $750 - $1000 brisket!
eek.gif
No pressure now, just hope it turns out great!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I know! I'm nervous. They apparently have a great butcher down there.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
He also got 2 rib eye steaks and they were like $90 for 2!!
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

Look at the marbling in this NY strip

I've had the opportunity to have it once while in Japan. All 100 grams of it (less than 4 oz., that's all I could afford). Still ran close to $22. I will tell you what, that was the very best beef I've had to pleasure of eating.

The pic did'nt come out, but i know what it looks like. A cardiologists nightmare!
wink.gif
Enjoy!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Shell, I have heard that they don't have as much fat marbled through them, so as a result cook up a lot quicker than the briskets we are used to, and have to be carefull not to dry them out. Good Luck!!!

Wow! I am overwhelmed ... have never heard of Kobe beef until today.

I expect I'll meet my maker before I ever get a chance to taste it ...

But I can dream and drool ....
vmp9caz95ivvca619b4mcaovm9.jpg

Hi Shellbell,

I've been grilling and/or smoking beef for 40 years. But, Kobe beef, wow!

Please, pics and evaluation. Mangia!

bud

Well got into work late today with the horrible rain we've had over the last 2 days (and it's still raining!!), double checked the kobe beef brisket is present and accounted for. I also went to Costco yesterday and go two pork shoulders to throw in with the brisket, hey why fire up the thing with one item in it!!

My biggest problem now....I can't find my maverick...
eek.gif

I am looking forward while being apprehensive at the same time.

I enjoy Kobe (Tajima) beef when I can get it, but have never been able to order 10 pounds!

Keep a good eye on that piece......

Good Lord son ....NNOOOOOO Pressure but the last time I heard of Kobe beef being sold in Toronto, it was a few years back and it was over $150.00 per pound.
Like I said noooooo Pressure.
icon_razz.gif
Just let me know when you start it ........I'm gonna go up on the roof ,maybe i can get a whiff...a faint hint on the breeze.LOL

I think I have read that they massage the cow and even give it beer. Honestly.

what I've seen of it, on the net, is that it is well marbled........steaks anyway. I'd assume the same for the brisket.

As everyone else has said..............no pressure. Btw, I don't know what smoker you have, but that brisket may cost more than the smoker
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

If you don't show pics, I will do my best to ban you from this site!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

Good luck, everyone here knows you'll do just fine! Have fun doing it and share the whole experience w/us please.

Hey Shell -

If you smoke low n slow you can't mess it up right? Just find your mavric and all will be well! I've a got a drawer full of Taylors you can borrow!
icon_mrgreen.gif

very interseting dutch , i read the link page you supplied . i have seen on a tv show here that there are a few cattle properties ( ranches to you guys )over here in australia where they are now breeding and growing the WAGYU cattle for the overseas market

Just to let you know I didn't forget about pictures or anything, found out that the parents actually froze it for the car ride north. He's bringing it in on Friday and on Sunday I'm doing the brisket and my shoulders.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I did receive information that a kobe brisket cooks MUCH faster than a regular brisket. Like 6 hours to get to 190*.

I also found, for anyone interested, that Snake River Farms sells kobe brisket on-line for $48 per 10 - 12# flat. I'm not sure what the over-night shipping would be. It's interesting to see how much their kobe is. A tenderloin for $300! They also sell berkshire(korobuta) pork.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky