Kirkland Wood Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Bought a bag of these from my local Costco today. Couldn't find any info on the package about who might be making them.

Attachments

• 20220527_164155.jpg
    20220527_164155.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 20220527_164227.jpg
    20220527_164227.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 218
I picked up 120lbs of them tonight so we will see. Costco is a pacific NW company so in timber country so I’m betting they work. The “T” guy was there and looking at the ground when I walked past and grabbed 3 bags of the “K” brand.
AB3E5B53-684A-43B8-8F81-AE0002F67859.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sven Svensson
Last couple of bags I’ve used Sam’s 40lb bag for $15. They work for me. I’ll shake out the pellet dust before throwing them into the hopper. Yes let us know how they are please.

those who try them - please report back. I like the price and love Costco!
Will do! They are just a bit cheaper than the LIl’ Devils that I use now ($13.50/40lbs), I have about 30 lbs in the hopper so in the next 2 weeks or so I will be burning them and will report out......the LDs burn the best of any I have tried so the bar will be high! I also wanted to give them a good try hence more than a 100lbs.

I've tried Little Devil. Might just be me, but they seemed to burn quick and hot, and smelled a little waxy.

I've tried Little Devil. Might just be me, but they seemed to burn quick and hot, and smelled a little waxy.
That’s the Alder content in them. Alder is a smoother smoke but it helps them burn clean and completely.

At last, a bag of pellets designated "FOOD GRADE"...
Now all those arguments about "what's in the pellets" surface...
What's in the competition's pellets, you may be consuming...

At last, a bag of pellets designated "FOOD GRADE"...
Now all those arguments about "what's in the pellets" surface...
What's in the competition's pellets, you may be consuming...
Dave I did notice the “Food Grade” Stamp on it....made me think it was because they have contracted with a fuel grade producer so they have spec’d a food grade version that is free if nastys like the fuel grade ones often have in them.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Just a question, I don't have an operable pellet grill at this point, waiting ....

Are these used for the heat, lower cost to cook food, is the smoke flavor the combination that you are looking for?

Just a question, I don't have an operable pellet grill at this point, waiting ....

Are these used for the heat, lower cost to cook food, is the smoke flavor the combination that you are looking for?
Yes, pellet stoves (furnaces/fireplaces) are very popular as a second heat source.... usually fuel rated pellets are in the 2-3 a bag, many of my neighbors had them in their houses at my old rural subdivision (way cheaper than electric heat). I would not use those pellets for smoking food as they can have things in them that is not good for you (what Dave was referencing above). For a heat source, it's not a problem because it is a sealed system and vents outside like any other furnace.

Second, it will take me 3-4 weeks to evaluate the smoke profile and how they burn. I like to burn at least 100lbs to make sure it wasn't a fluke on a good or bad bag.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Dave I did notice the “Food Grade” Stamp on it....made me think it was because they have contracted with a fuel grade producer so they have spec’d a food grade version that is free if nastys like the fuel grade ones often have in them.

My first thoughts... Costco had the manufacturer note the "FOOD GRADE" status of the pellets to "shield" them from lawsuits should they prove different... That puts extra pressure on the manufacturer to insure lab certified tests for quality and for them to keep samples safely stored in the event of a lawsuit... Documenting food grade quality is expensive and labor intensive...

Reactions: JLeonard
My first thoughts... Costco had the manufacturer note the "FOOD GRADE" status of the pellets to "shield" them from lawsuits should they prove different... That puts extra pressure on the manufacturer to insure lab certified tests for quality and for them to keep samples safely stored in the event of a lawsuit... Documenting food grade quality is expensive and labor intensive...
This makes sense for WA and the litigious environment.

Reactions: daveomak
I cleaned out the left side of the hopper and put 20lbs in the RT 1250, going run 50/50 for a bit. So far they look pretty dang good and virtually no dust. They are dark in color and smell good dry....no sour smell....
A46AF1CA-AA19-46A7-8E4C-9A828F2FBBDE.jpeg

Google indicates that Kirkland are made by Pit Boss.

If you have a Lowe's nearby you can get a 40 lb of PB competition blend for $12. Less if you are a military vet and take advantage of their MIL discount.

Reactions: smokeonthewater1069
doesn't pit boss use hard wood fillers unlike lumberjack that is 100% of the wood stated in the pellets?

doesn't pit boss use hard wood fillers unlike lumberjack that is 100% of the wood stated in the pellets?
LJ does make 100% flavor wood pellets but not all of them are 100%. You do have to check the labels to make sure you're getting the 100% variety.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky