Kingsford or RO briquettes in Akorn?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all,
I’m still learning my Akorn kamado using lump charcoal. I was wondering if anyone uses briquettes in this or similar cookers and if you notice any differences?

I'm also curious about lighting and getting to temp. I pour in the lump and then add a lighter cube and go from there. But does anyone do a minion method kinda light where they light some in the chimney and then pour in?

Thanks for any tips and tricks!

I never use lump in my Akorn. Just Kingsford blue bag. Too many non uniform pieces fall through the grate and never get burned. Big removable ash pan can handle it no problem. I put 10 max briquettes in charcoal chimney with 15-20 unlit around it for 24+ hours. Drop the lit in the center and make sure the unlit inside charcoal touches the outside lit. Scatter some wood chunks and stack the grate, pizza stone, drip pan, top grate, meat, probes without taking too much time if you need it low around 200°.

Thanks all. More playing around is in order. I’m going to try briquettes minion style in the next run. The lump I have varies quite a bit in size from piece to piece so maybe that’s an issue too?

The Akorn bottom grate is like 11.5" dia. I got the 13 " charcoal grate or so for the weber 18.5 lkettle grill and put the Akorn coal grate on top of it opposite so when I starve the coals of air when done cooking I have less fall through to the ash pan for the next cook. The 17" charcoal grate for the 22" weber kettle I got at Home depot years ago fits perfectly on the three tabs below the top grate to hold the pizza stone for indirect heating. I also use that as a searing charcoal grate for steaks etc and move them over for finishing. Choose a coal grate level for your application. Very versatile with that porcelan coated steel insulating sleeve.

Good idea with the lower grate level. I'll try that soon.

I did a pork tenderloin test run with RO briquettes minion style the same way you suggested. Worked like a charm and held steady a bit easier than with the lump. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky