King Kooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
Anyone ever heard anything about King Kookers? I still have my Mustang electric smoker, but I would like to get something like the GOSM. While researching, I came across this King Kooker. Looks similar to the GOSM, but sounds a little more heavy duty than the GOSM that I can fine. Can'f find a big block anywhere. There are two versions of King Kookers I was looking at, one at 38" that is stated as low pressure with a BTU of 20,000 and one that's 30" stated as high pressure cooking with 56,000 BTU burner. Is there an obvious advantage to high pressure in a smoker?? The only thing I could think would be to crisp skin faster. I'd like to try a gas model because I can't get my electric one any higher than like 200 unless it's 95 degrees outside and I have it sitting in direct sunlight without any food in it. I know 200 is good for smoking, but I'd like to be able crisp up some yard bird right in the smoker...

I've never heard of them before so I looked it up. If they have a display model, check to see how everything fits and the overall quality or workmanship. The ones I've found online are round and look similar to the Brinkman smokers but have porcelain coated about everything. They run from around $150ish to $130 avg price, to $96.50 on sale, depending on where you look.

If all seems solid and seals up well, and it's what you want.. then go for it.

shellbellc, after looking over the two model you've mentioned, I think I would be on board for using either one. They do "look" to be sturdy enough to provide years of excellent service. I like that the low pressures system kooker comes with a lighting system, although it probably ain't sun light, most smokers don't have any kind of light with them.

If you go with the King Kooker brand, please let us know your thoughts on it.

eBay link to 38" model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Outdoor-Low-Pres...QQcmdZViewItem

Keep Smokin

I was watching that model on eBay. The pictures look good but who knows. I do have a kingKooker turkey fryer/steamer and the thing is build really heavy duty and came with more stuff then I'll ever use.

Let us know what you find out shellbellc. I'm still torn between this unit and the Chargriller smoking pro 830 with side fire box.

:oops:

Debi

Still researching the King Kookers - FYI, the lighting system that is refered to isn't for light, but for ignition of fuel. I am considering making a stand for my GOSM to bring it up in height a little and give room for pan storage and the like. Wouldn't want to put the propane bottle under the burner for safety, but would make a good storage space.

Keep Smokin

Yeah I agree during cooking I pull my gas tank back as far as it can go. Usally it under my BBQ grill. DO like the look of the King kooker though.

Debi

buy both of them, figure out which one you like better and give the other one to someone who is just getting into smoking or wanting to learn. i am sure they will pay you back several times with the food you will eating of theirs!!

of give it to me.

as i was told, think about how big you think you need and go bigger, because as your skills grow others will want you to cook for them and you will have more room.

or like me, i smoke a bunch of food every other week or so and eat it through out the weeks/months, its nice to cook several things so your taste buds do not go stale from the same thing all the time.

I won the eBay listing for the 38" low pressure one...will let you know how it works once we get it fired up, unfortunately, temps won't be out of the 30's for the next two weeks here! I did see someone else asked teh seller what guage thickness the metal was and he replied it was 16 guage. I'm not familiar at all with how thick that makes it...

Shellbellc, 16 ga. is the thickness of most if not all 55 gallon barrels for comparison. If memory serves, just under 1/8 inch. Be sure and let us know how you like the King Kooker.

Shellbellc-

Congrats! Let me know how you like it. I've been drooling over that unit for about a month. 30 isn't to bad and if you don't have to open the door it should work okay. I would do it!

Wonder how charcol will work in that unit? Gotta check out your link.
:roll:

Thanks!
Debi

Congrats on the new King Kooker shellbellc, hope you enjoy it. Report back on how it's doing and overall construction.

Keep Smokin

I certainly will report on the construction when I get it and will post some pics and specs...I feel like that little kid on the Disney World commercial where they are leaving the next day for vacation...He says...I'm toooo excited to sleeeeep....Can't wait to fire it up!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky