Just wanted to offer a general "thanks"...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dparker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
'burbs of Dallas, TX
...to all those here who have at various times in various threads posted the water-pan-full-of-play-sand tip for stabilizing smoker temperature. The wild, seemingly uncontrollable temp swings I struggled with the first few times I used my SV24 really tested my patience, and were taking a lot of the fun out of the activity. But after reading about using clean play sand as a thermal buffer (which I'm embarrased to say never occurred to me) I picked up a bag at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, filled the water pan with sand and...it's been working great. I still get some fluctuations, of course. But once I get the temperature dialed in it stays pretty much within a 10 degree window, so long as the wind is fairly quiet.

So, thanks again for a simple tip that's made smoking stuff much more enjoyable.

Hey D! Welcome to SMF! A 10 degree swing is awesome, ups and downs are all part of the game. Looking forward to some pics of a cook!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky