Just started two more slabs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
One is 5.1 lbs the other is 4.3 lbs
I used the digging dog form calculator and my digital scale from amazon this time
This is about a third of the amount of stuff I put in my first cures last year.
No wonder my bacon was so salty!
And someone on here used 1.75% salt so I'm going with that

My buddy is coming down from out of state to hunt on my place in a couple weeks so I'll surprise him and let him smoke his own bacon (he's actually coming to smoke his own bacon using this new night vision scope he got) and take it home with him.

This cure was the basic, kosher, brown and #1

Bo, morning... using 1.75% salt and 0.25% cure#1 give a 2% salt... Also add 1% sugar to reduce and salt taste... Works for me... I've been using that amount for several years... The 1% sugar is low enough it won't burn when fried... I found 2% sugar would burn... It's all preference... that is a very good starting point if you wish to make changes later... Also, you can add any spice flavor in your next batch if you want to kick up the flavor..
Personally, I like bacon that tastes like pig... Nothing Foo-Foo about my bacon...

No hogs but smoked ~9lbs for Friday - Sunday pretty much non-stop
has a great smoke smell to it
I have a few strips in the oven now
Came to my computer to get the digging dog calculator to make the cure for my next three slabs:
1597g
1860g
1932g

I like the smaller sized bellies so I can give them as (manageable) gifts

I run all hickory pellets although this next run I think I want to try hickory & one other like apple or pecan (has to be really soft as I like to smoke for many hours)

Screenshot-20191101-080809.png

Reactions: SmokinAl
1.75% is too salty
is the salt necessary for a chemical reaction with the cure?
if so, what is the lowest % of salt i can go with?
if not, i might do 0.25% salt
i want all pork, smoke and sugar
no salt taste

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky