Just picked up a used WSM 18"- First Smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

triggerfingers

Original poster
May 19, 2017
Hey All,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.  I have been waiting for a great used deal on either an 18" or 22.5" and today it happened! Today, I picked up a 2013 WSM 18" off of Craigslist for $80!

It was a deal I thought wasn't going to go down...but low and behold...at the 11th hour it did, and I finally got a WSM!

Here is the story...

I have been watching Craigslist like a hawk waiting for WSM's to pop up. Most are far enough away that it doesn't really justify traveling to get them. Well the other day one popped up about 30 miles away. $160. Hmmm....lady said it was an 18" and sent me some pics. Looked in pretty good shape, but no cover. I said I could possibly do $125, but would have to see it. She said she was firm at $160. Ok...well I just may have to pass on this.

Last night I said I could still do $125, but was told that another person was potentially going to see it today. Ok...no big deal. Either I get it or I don't. If they flaked, she would do $125.

I got a text at the last minute saying she would do $125....and then text another shortly after saying she would gladly do $100. Hmm...she said the door latch was broken and there was some rust. I replied..."please send me a picture of each."

The door appeared slightly bent and the latch was indeed broken, with part of it in the bottom of the kettle. The rust that was spoken of was on the inside coal grate (superficial--wire brush). After seeing the pics, I offered $80 (but would gladly do the $100 if she countered) and said I could be there within the hour. She sent a text back and settled on $80!

Drove down cash in hand and picked it up!

Its dusty for sure, but the fit and finish is near new! it has been lightly used, but the grates still show glimmers of their shiny finish. No dings or rust on the exterior at all. The door is bent and the latch is broken....so I what do I do? I bought a SS door and latch from Cajun Bandit and upgraded it for a price I was originally looking to pay!

So for under $130 I have a near new, upgraded WSM 18."

I'm so pumped to finally get this thing fired up.

Question is....what to cook first?

-Mike

Assuming this is your first smoke (you didn't say what your experience level was in general, or with a WSM specifically), I'd suggest a butt. It will give you lots of time to familiarize yourself with the smoker, it's hard to screw up, and can easily be finished in the oven if you run into problems.

Nice score!

If this is your first smoke ever, I would start with chicken.

They are easy & cheap.

Al

welcome1.gif
glad to have you on board. A great find for the price however if you are looking to do pulled pork with that smoker as your first cook you are in for a long haul maybe as long as 12 hours depending on size. As asked before we don't know your previous experience but this is not something as a beginner I would try. I would go with something simple like chicken. Just my $.02 Good luck and happy smoking with what ever you try.

Warren

I say go big or go home, throw a brisket on that thing.... then again a spatched chicken is probably the more sensible way to go. (I have no sense) my first smoke on my wsm was a pork shoulder. Anyway, sounds like a great score. Whichever way you choose to christen it, you're going to love that little smoker. Congrats!!

Lance

Thanks all,

Sorry I didn't specify my experience. I am a fairly adventurous and successful home chef who has smoked meat off and on over the past 15 years. First was on an old rectangular Char-Broil my dad used to have, then on my 22" Weber kettle (which wasn't bad, but meant lifting the lid and adding coals to the sides to keep the temp steady), and finally on a friend's Brinkmann Barrel (which was, for all intents and purposes, a piece of junk!). So I would say my skill level with a smoker is somewhere between "completely inept" and "Chris Lilly," if that helps?
icon_wink.gif

My son's second birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I was originally going to do sausages and hot dogs on my kettle, but my wife thought pulled pork on the WSM sounded like an excellent idea. That is probably the route we will go for the "maiden voyage." Hell, no reason why I can't do both right?

Again....glad to be here!

Mike

Last edited:
There is absolutely no reason you can't do both. Done it many times myself. I just can't believe you are actually capable of waiting that long to fire it up.

Well, first I have to wait for the new door/latch to arrive. But I managed to clean the grates today, so hopefully I will find time to fire it up soon.

On a side note, today I scored an older Weber 22 "One Touch" Kettle in very good condition (tight fit, no rust, no dings) for $20. The "G" code on the vent dates it to 1985. It's in better shape than the one the in-laws gave to me 10 years ago. I'll say its been a pretty good weekend for Weber deals!

Well, first I have to wait for the new door/latch to arrive. But I managed to clean the grates today, so hopefully I will find time to fire it up soon.

On a side note, today I scored an older Weber 22 "One Touch" Kettle in very good condition (tight fit, no rust, no dings) for $20. The "G" code on the vent dates it to 1985. It's in better shape than the one the in-laws gave to me 10 years ago. I'll say its been a pretty good weekend for Weber deals!

I'll say!! Dang look at you.... I still say you have more patience than me. I lost my latch sometime in year two and duct taped that s$&@ And smoked on it for another year. Of course I can't do math anymore so go figure but whatever..... congrats on the kettle score!

I think my first smoke on my WSM 221/2" was two butts. I had never used a temp prob up until then but bought a cheep one at Bed Bath and Beyond and probed one of the butts, I thought 180 was the inturnal temp to go for and that is where I pulled it. The bone came out OK and with some effort it pulled but it was on the dry side and taste was lacking. It wasn't until I joind the Forms that I learned that I should go to 205, I thought 205 would really dry it out but thought I would give it a try. Wow! What a difference tender, moist and tasty every time.

Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky