Just got Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 40" Vertical Gas Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

idaho

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
North Idaho
Just got this yesterday at Cabela's. I have read all the upgrades that need to be made and will get started on them all right away. I will try to post pictures as we assemble it.

I have the same smoker but from BPS.  Looks like you got a different handle than me, but otherwise the same.  I think cabelas gives you a cover though.  I have a thread in propane smokers with some qview.  It really works great.  Its my first smoker and I could get used to this real quick.  I would suggest getting a Maverick et-732 asap.  The temp gauge in the door is sketchy at best.  It was dead on for the first seasoning cycle.  The second it was about 100* off.  When I cooked porksteaks on it it was about 150* off, then 2 days later I did 3 rack of ribs and it was about 25* off.  Christmas eve it was dead on again.  I'm not sure why people complain about the water tray being too small.  At 225-230* it doesn't run out for 2-2.5 hours about as long as 3 chunks of hickory last.  I figure If I have to add wood I might as well add water.

I have the same smoker but from BPS.  Looks like you got a different handle than me, but otherwise the same.  I think cabelas gives you a cover though.  I have a thread in propane smokers with some qview.  It really works great.  Its my first smoker and I could get used to this real quick.  I would suggest getting a Maverick et-732 asap.  The temp gauge in the door is sketchy at best.  It was dead on for the first seasoning cycle.  The second it was about 100* off.  When I cooked porksteaks on it it was about 150* off, then 2 days later I did 3 rack of ribs and it was about 25* off.  Christmas eve it was dead on again.  I'm not sure why people complain about the water tray being too small.  At 225-230* it doesn't run out for 2-2.5 hours about as long as 3 chunks of hickory last.  I figure If I have to add wood I might as well add water.
 Yes the Mavrick was ordered yesterday as were 11 feet of Q matz have the cast iron pan and something for the water so now just need to do vent change. Yes it has a cover which was great. May season it tomorrow so can burn something next week lol

Ok seasoning it today.

Got 3 chickens I split in half, a big pack of legs all in my brine. I went with Salt, Dark brown sugar, Fresh Targon, Onion, Garlic, and fresh oregano, with apple cider and some powdered onion an garlic. This is my first attempt at brining or ever eating something that's been brined. Will pull them tomorrow rinse and pat dry. Will let air dry a while out side since its low 30's. my 732 is working great I can watch temps from my couch :)

I've only brined pork, but I really want to brine a chicken next time I do one.  It really adds flavor and moisture to the pork, hopefully it does the same to chicken.

Chicken is out drying, not sure if I am doing a rub or just some basic seasonings. should get it I smoker by 2 I am hoping it will be done about 530

I've only brined pork, but I really want to brine a chicken next time I do one.  It really adds flavor and moisture to the pork, hopefully it does the same to chicken.

I just got this same smoker from Cabelas. It seems ok I guess. I really don't know what I'm looking for but the only thing that stands put is that the wood chips bun so fast. 2 cups are about gone in an hour or less. What could I do so I don't go broke buying wood chips for this new hobby. I already buy ammunition so :icon_rolleyes:

I use the cast iron skillet in my burner pan. Seems I get a pretty good smoke time on mine at lower temps.

Like most others I use a number 8 cast iron skillet, but I use wood chunks instead of chips.  Chunks smoke for a long time, last smoke I did was a boneless pork butt roast.  Didn't know such a cut existed, but I figured it was a boneless pork butt.  I smoked it for about 7 hours for pulled pork sandwiches, I started with 4 fist sized chunks, after 2 hours I put supper in the smoker (western style ribs) and added some smaller chunks.  After I pulled the boneless pork butt roast out I was cleaning up the smoker and still had several small coals still going.  The skillet makes a huge difference.

Brine whole or pieces of chicken 2 gal. water, 1 cup kosher salt 1 cup onion powder. 1 cup garlic powder1 coarse black pepper 1 cup sugar1/4 cup pickling spice and 1/4 cup old bay. For less chicken cut down by 1/2 ot 1/4

I just got a propane smoker and I have a few questions.

Do you also use charcoal in the bottom pan and then you add a little wood after the charcoal is going from the burner?

I'm a little confused on this process. Thank you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky