just cant get the ratio right with venison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought the OP was asking why his fresh patties were so different from stuffed using the same ingredients??
When we are making sausage, we always fry test a batch.
It's always better then after we stuff it....
Why? Time? Casings? Too much beer? :beercheer:

I was intrigued because I've wondered the same??

Am I off?

If not, any explanation?

Sorry, it was mowin who had the same question as me.

Last edited:
I am no expert but I make a lot of venison sausage. One of the tricks I have learned is to pull it about 5-10 degrees short of target temp and quench it quickly. Don't worry about bringing down to fridge temp just a few degrees below room temp. You can do the final cooking before you eat it. Just remember to tell anyone you give it to that it must be cooked through. Heat is the enemy of venison and what fat you add is easily cooked out if you get to hot in smoker. Well it works for me a way.

Reactions: ab canuck
I did find for snack sticks that if I used 9.5 pounds ground venison and 3 pounds of ground chuck {at walmart the 3 pounds tubes are the ticket}

That gives me a 12.5 pound mix. I have been using spice mixes and have added a cup of high temp chesse. The spices seem to come in a bag labeled that it will do 25 pounds so I just half it.

On fresh breakfast sausage I have concluded that 3 pounds of deer and 2 pounds of ground pork belly is what I should use

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky