Just Another 'Georgia Boy' Blowin' Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coleysmokinbbq

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 31, 2007
Northeast GA
Greetings Folks!

I'm Coley and the Mrs. and I reside in NE Georgia. I've been lurking around in the shadows here for a couple of weeks now and am amazed at all the friendly folks here, and their willingness to share their knowledge and experiences in the fine art of smoking meat.

I've been having such a great time reading posts and looking at all the 'Q-View' that I almost forgot to post my intro on Roll Call!...and learning the whole time...I might add!!

I see so many things here that I've wanted to try for a number of years, but simply didn't have the info I needed to accomplish those tasks...such as sausage making, curing and cold smoking, hot smoking, etc.

I first started smoke-cooking 30 years ago, and have done so on and off ever since, but am still in search of the elusive 'Perfect BBQ Butt'!! Close many times...but no cigar...lol...
icon_lol.gif

I don't get the quality of product I'd like to have on the old ECB, so I'm hoping to someday be the proud owner of one of Ben Lang's stick burners. I believe that with a reverse flow type cooker that I'll finally be able to find that elusive 'Perfect BBQ Butt'!!

The woods I like best for smoking are oak, hickory, mesquite, and pecan. For pork I like to use an oak base with up to about 20 percent hickory.

I'm also looking forward to the 'Dutch Oven' forum when it (hopefully) opens. I have wanted to learn about cooking with them for some time now. I've had them seasoned and ready to go but haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. They look kind of lonesome just sitting there!...lol...
icon_lol.gif

I look forward MOST to making some new friends and to having a great time here with all the good folks here, all the while learning as I go, and to sharing what little bit I know from these past 30 years.

Hoping to someday be able to earn my induction into that most high and most esteemed of all fraternities of the BBQ realm...'The Order of the Thin Blue Smoke'.

Until later...

Coley

Welcome to the SMF Coley, so glad you decided to jump in and join the fun!!! Like you said Great folks here and tons of info on all things smoked, and then some
biggrin.gif

Glad you found us and look foward to your posts!!!

Coley,

Welcome to SMF. You'll find great poeple and advice here. Enjoy.

Ron

Welcome aboard! Glag to see that you joined us, I look forward to your insight and adventures.

A great big Canadian welcome from me Coley and say hi to the Mrs.
You know what you want and I can see you gettin' it too!
Good luck with that elusive perfect butt ... I lucked out my first time on my ECB ... which I give credit to the (conversion) propane burner's steady heat ....
icon_wink.gif

Hey now! Welcome to the SMF Coley.

Glad you're here and looking forward to hearing the good news when you finally get that "perfect butt" smoked.

Hi everyone!

Well...it seems that I've gotten behind again! Been doing a whole lotta readin' here to the point that I've almost gone cross-eyed!! Just kiddin' y'all!...
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
At any rate, I just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome from each and every one of you.

A few quick comments...

Harold - I enjoy foolin' around with the guitar too.

Tonto - Congrats to you and Bud on the new member to your family! I know you both are gonna really enjoy it! I'd like to ask a few questions about the new arrival at some point.

Debi - You've REALLY done it now!! I followed the link from your post and got to lookin' at all the sausage stuff there and now (dad-burn-it) you've done flung a cravin' on me!!...AND...about starved me to death in the time of it!!! Incidentally, I was in broadcasting from '71 to '80 too.

Squeezy - you say you did a propane conversion on your ECB? I'm interested to know how you went about it. Did you snap any pics?

Anyway...Thanks to ALL for the warm welcome, not just those mentioned in this reply.

Until Later...

Cool deal!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Now THAT'S what I call an easy conversion! The price ain't too bad either. Thanks for sharing. Being the 'engineering' type, I guess this means I'm gonna have to break out the bubble-gum and baling wire! Let me see now...Where DID I leave those old salvaged burners at anyway?.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky