Johnson Custom Standard flow build questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

av8bdriver

Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
Hey yall, brand new member here. I have learned so much from this site and wanted to first say thank you for all of the great info.

I have been talking to Chad over at Johnson Custom smokers in Ennis, TX about having a standard flow built. He normally builds reverse flow but he says he has plenty of experience building standard flow. I wanted to get yall's insight on this build and see if anyone had anything to say about Chad's smokers and materials.

So I am doing his ultimate patio setup with the overland package. (See pic.. obviously this is his RF model). It has a vertical cooker above the FB with a adjustable vent directly into the FB as well as the CC. Love that design feature. Dimensions are all in 1/4" steel pipe: CC 24" x 60", FB 24" x 24", Stack with collector 6" x 45", Throat 87 sq in. Single door on CC. 3 tel-tru thermometers on CC and 1 on the vertical. I priced getting a 1/2" and 3/8" FB but dang it was pricey! His FB vents are on the sides of the FB and measure 6" x 4" with a flapper style valve to open and close.

I have looked at Feldon's and the formula on this site. I also subscribe to Aaron Franklin's train of thought, as well as Chud's and other Cen-Tex folks. The stack is one area that I question.... is it too big? I want good flow but not so much that it pulls the smoke out too quickly and I lose flavor.

Looking for all thoughts and advice. Thank yall so much!

Greg

Attachments

• ultimate-patio-8.jpg-nggid03477-ngg0dyn-150x150x100-00f0w010c011r110f110r010t010.jpg
    ultimate-patio-8.jpg-nggid03477-ngg0dyn-150x150x100-00f0w010c011r110f110r010t010.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky