Jimmy Dean "fatty" clone recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 7, 2006
Valley Forge, PA
I haven't tried them, but these would be really easy with ground pork from the store and you could make them as spicy as you want!

Sage
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

you will want to look at one of my old post's on the "meg fattie" experiment as I had to tweak the recipe that you posted......

I have my Jimmy Dean clone recipe posted here somewhere and am going to make about 25 lbs tomorrow as I am down to just 2 pkgs of breakfast sausage.

Can someone explain to me why you would add MSG to these recipes?
Around here we don't go to Chinese restaurants that use it!
icon_eek.gif

Shell, here is my clone recipe again. I tried to do a search and got tired of looking for it.

Daryle's Breakfast Sausage

Try and figure about 20 to 30% fat. Daryle

25 pounds pork
¾ cup salt
¼ cup cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons rubbed sage
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper, 3 T. for hot
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1½ teaspoons coriander

1 Cube venison and pork trimmings.
2 Mix seasonings and mix with meat well.
3 Grind thru 1/8 plate and stuff into bags.

Yield: 25 pounds

It is a preservative mainly, Chinese restaurants used it for vegetable dishes because is brightens the colors of veggies and keeps them fresher looking longer.
When they use that s*** on my food, my sinuses close up and I can hardly breathe.
icon_evil.gif

I use it all the time myself, however granted I don't have any allergies to it nor does anyone I personally know as well......

msg is a flavor enhancer to enhance specifically enhance "meat flavor". it makes meats taste "more meaty" (hamburgers, steak, etc). it is added to veggies because who wouldn't want their veggies to taste a little more like meat? it really isn't "bad" for you, unless you're allergic to it, but it does make you want to come back for more. the "chinese food syndrome" is when you eat chinese and then 45 minutes later you're hungry again! one reason a lot of people have issue with msg is because it adds to america's problem with general overeating. but we all consume a lot more msg than we are aware of, in low-fat, reduced-calorie foods, in potato chips, seasonings...in fact lots of companies use code-words for msg because of the stigma. if you ever see "autolyzed yeast extract" or "flavor enhancer" or a dozen other code-words (lists on the web), you can be pretty sure it's good ol msg.

MARK

If it is not "bad" for you, why are they coding it to hide it. You can justify anything if you want to.

For me, I choose quality food when ever possible ... e.g. Why eat a big Mac when I can get a good burger elsewhere?
I like to choose my poison wisely
icon_cry.gif

I would not say "code to hide" but msg is sold under other names such as "accent" but all you have to do, as anyone should especially if they are allergic, is to read the ingredients. MSG is not a poison, it's simply a flavor enhancer that yes some are allergic to......saying it's poison is like me saying penicillin is poison because I'm allergic to that also.......
rolleyes.gif

just toying with ya....... keep in mind msg has been a MAJOR ingredient in all chinese cooking period.....and look at all of the jerky you buy especially if it's made from ground beef...it will have it.... and really I put it in mine as well but I always ask if anyone is allergic to if....if so then I make sure to leave it out, but when I do there is a difference......kinda like leaving out latic acid in a dry sausage thing...........

and thank god I'm not allergic to dirt, if I was I'd be dead trying to keep the little lady happy building this dang garden for her really......
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky