1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jerky Help

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by Shurley88, May 19, 2019.

1. Shurley88

Shurley88 Newbie

So I'm new to cooking with a smoker. I have a Landmann Electric Smoker that I'm going to use today for the first time to make some venison jerky. I was wondering could anyone give me some pointers on how to go about it correctly. Like what's the best way to get the thin blue smoke? How long should I have the smoke going in the smoker? And what's the best temp to keep the smoker at? I'm using hickory chips and I'm using my same mainade with the jerky minus liquid smoke. I've used a dehydrator in the past but looking forward to using my smoker. Thanks!

2. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome to SMF! Now on to your question. Jerky requires a lower temp. Usually 150 to 160 is the best which makes it hard to keep chips smoking. I have a Landmann smoker as well. But to make snack sticks or jerky I did the mail box and PID mod to get exactly what I wanted with both temp and amount of smoke. The mail box mod lets you use a tray or tube that holds pellets or dust. But you can give it more air to keep them smoking. Check out the trays from A-MAZE-N https://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm
    I added a small fan to the front of the mail box to help the smoke reach the tube going to the smoker. With this set up you can then do cold smoking for cheese and other things as well.

P5182191.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    PrairieGeek and Rusty Zipper like this.
  3. PrairieGeek

PrairieGeek Newbie

Steve thanks for the photo. I just joined the site and have been reading about the "mailbox" method and thought it was some sort of metaphor. I see now that it is literally a mailbox. I have been banging my head designing the external smokepot for my fridge build. This might be something to think about.

4. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

This method works quite well. And it is pretty easy to build.

5. BigW.

BigW. Newbie

You could always smoke for 2 hrs or so then to the dehydrator for final drying. Jerky time varies depending on how thick, how chewy you want the final product. I like jerky that has been smoked vs dried only.