Jalapeno Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinhard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2013
Andover Minnesota
This year was a no venison year for me but sure had great memories of the hunt and deer camp.  My brother brought down the venison from up north that he and a friend harvested.  So i already made the polish i posted earlier and now comes the summer sausage for the guy's. Here is what i used:

16 pounds of venison

9 pounds of pork butt

5 cups of cold water

1/2 cup from the jalapeno juice

2 1/2 cups of sliced pickled jalapenos

4 T mustard seeds

5 cups of dry'd powderd milk

3 heaping T of diced garlic [from the jar]

5 tsp cure #1

1 pack of seasoning [enough for a 25 lb. batch summer] from a supplier who is out of buisness [Hamm's Butcher Supply] who was here localy and had by far the best pre-made seasoning i have ever used.  

I ground the meat once through a course plate.  sprinkled the powdered milk over the meat.  Then i mixed all the rest of the seasonings and cure with the liquid. poured that over the mix plus the sliced peppers and mixed the meat well.  Then i gound the meat mix one more time through a medium plate, covered it with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge overnight for the next day's stuffing in fibrous casings.  Some of you may recognize the way i tie all the sausage on one butcher string.  I do my rings the same way.  I finished these off in the oven at 225 until internal of 155 deg. [took about 2 1/2 hours per batch]. Then the ice bath, let them cool, and vac'd them ready for the freezer.  Reinhard

Last edited:
AfricanMeat----thank you.  To do this recipe you have to get a pack of pre-made summer sausage seasoning from your favorite place and add everything else on the recipe to it.  I use pre-made seasonings and then tweek them to the way i like it. I edited the bottom of the recipe so it shows a pack of seasoning enough for a 25 pound patch as part of the whole recipe. Reinhard

Reinhard that looks great I also was only having tag soup this yr. Looks like you got great texture on them looks very yummy

A full smoker is a happy smoker

Nice summer sausage! We go heavier on the mustard seeds as well. I remember you made Curley's bacon, have you used Curley's summer sausage mix? We have 1 50lb SS mix from Curley's and 1 50lb SS mix from Sausage Maker. I think I'm going to try your additions with Curleys mix except the jalapenos will be replaced with heat restrained cheese.

Those sliced shots look perfect! Every chub!

Woodcutter, i haven't used Curley's yet but i will order some.  I just started using their supplier since mine went out of buisness. Their bacon seasoning and polish have been great. I'm going to make a batch of sausage using their "chilli dog" seasoning. Excited about that. So in general i have been happy with their seasonings so far.  Reinhard

They look great Reinhard... Were they spicy with the 2 1/2 cups of sliced pickled jalapenos........
th_violent5.gif

Boykjo---when i did my test fry they seemed on the hot side.  However after they were finished, they lost some of the heat [kind of like a ABT when they are done]. Should have took that in concideration.  Next time i will go 3 cups and put in more of the juice from the jar.  The taste was good by my official tasters [my wife and mother-inlaw who lives with us].  So my brother and our friend will be happy with the taste but the heat may not be what they expect. That's what they get when they hire a guy for free LOL. BTW thanks for asking, i should have stated that.

Stayhot--i did do these in the oven with the temps as stated in the OP.  It was too cold to run the smoker.  Today it's 10 above so i did run the smoker for two 5 pound pieces of boneless pork loins for canadian bacon [using Pop's brine].  The Masterbuilt electric maintained temp the whole time.   Reinhard

Last edited:
Looking at the SS I like the lean to fat ratio you used. I see no fat out or shrinkage and the SS looks absolutly perfect...... I reiterate to everyone when making SS I like to use lean meat at a maximum of 10% fat which will get you results like yours..... Again the SS looks great

Thanks.  After cooking the SS i only had 5 drops the size of a dime on the foil below.  I have similiar results from the link sausage i smoke or do in the oven when it's too cold. Like you said, the ratio of fat to lean is key.  I also believe in the correct amount of powderd milk is important as well. Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky