It's Wild Hog Sausage Day!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
He's either gonna give them to us, or shoot them and drag them out on the back 40 to rot. He hates them! Glad he's giving them to us. they make such great sausage!
I almost had an arrangement like that with a guy. We set up a coral trap and to me its simple. We communicate and set the trap and the next day I'll be available to pick up the animals... but it seems he gets super anxious and sets the trap whenever and just pops em and tosses them :(

It's his land so nothing I can do about it. I've gotten 1 hog in 2 years from him :(

This guy has a cage on pallets which he can pick up with his tractor. He drives back to where the trap is located, backs up door to door, opens the doors, and prods the pigs into the cage on the tractor. Closes the cage door, resets the trap, and drives back to the house. He sets the cage down in front of the barn in the shade, covers the cage with a tarp, then calls me.

I pop 'em with my 9mm when I arrive, put them in my truck, and then rinse out the cage for him.

I never know when he will call though.

This guy has a cage on pallets which he can pick up with his tractor. He drives back to where the trap is located, backs up door to door, opens the doors, and prods the pigs into the cage on the tractor. Closes the cage door, resets the trap, and drives back to the house. He sets the cage down in front of the barn in the shade, covers the cage with a tarp, then calls me.

I pop 'em with my 9mm when I arrive, put them in my truck, and then rinse out the cage for him.

I never know when he will call though.

I'm an hour away from the guy with the coral trap. All he has to do is set it on a Friday evening and then call me up Sat morning and I'll be there in an hour to kill, skin, and dispose of any hog remains. It seems he just gets antsy and sets the trap whenever and then gets caught with pigs in the trap and then needs to dispose of them lol. If he just waited and communicated it could all get handled in an orderly fashion and we BOTH could be in the pork quite well lol

This guy will have the trap set for 2 months or so, never know when he will catch one. Sometimes it's middle of the week. I'll rearrange my schedule to go get them. I probably would not get them if I only relied on weekends for him to call me.

Yes! Please post your recipe. I'm going hog hunting very soon and have a friend that's bringing some to me from his hunt in Alabama. I'm out of links and sausages.
Tim

I prefer not to give out my personal smoke sausage recipe. It's one I have developed over the last 20 years. But, Here is a very traditional and flavorful cajun recipe that I have used and makes a very good sausage. Close to mine, but a little different.

No pics, but I made 34# of wild hog fresh sausage this week. Half Green onion, and half regular fresh. Next up is processing day for 7 deer. We will be grinding chili meat, ground meat 50/50 with pork shoulder, fresh link sausage, and some breakfast sausage. Probably going to process 250~300 lbs. of meat....

No pics, but I made 34# of wild hog fresh sausage this week. Half Green onion, and half regular fresh. Next up is processing day for 7 deer. We will be grinding chili meat, ground meat 50/50 with pork shoulder, fresh link sausage, and some breakfast sausage. Probably going to process 250~300 lbs. of meat....

More wild hog sausage I'm jealous!
Also more venison is awesome too. I'm not jealous of the processing effort that goes into that much meat but I love the outcome :D

Will have help with the deer. Should have 4 of us to do the work. Got a new guy to sausage making that wants to learn how to process his own deer meat that's gonna be there to help as well.

I'll post up when we do it.

Will have help with the deer. Should have 4 of us to do the work. Got a new guy to sausage making that wants to learn how to process his own deer meat that's gonna be there to help as well.

I'll post up when we do it.

Help is good. I do 5-7 animals each year and it takes me about 5 days at 12 hours a day alone. The only time I get help is to do sausage stuffing and man does it help! Other than that I'm solo deboning, grinding, sealing, etc.

I look forward to the output :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky