It's pork time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bennyshaik

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Mansfield Center, CT
Alright, here goes Round 2. Just loaded up two ~9lb Boston Butts for what will be a late dinner tonight. One's got a sweet and spicy rub that's been sitting since last night, the other just has salt and pepper. I did chicken halves last week and my roommate suggested next time trying some without a rub to see what the smoke flavor brings on it's own. So naturally, yesterday I just bought two butts instead of one. Hickory wood, maintaining 240*, trying it with fat cap up. Planning on it going about 12 hours.

Last edited:
Looks like a good start . I tend to like a sweet rub on pork . Beef is just salt , pepper , onion and garlic.

Didn't get to post it last night, some very important drinking and backyard firing was going on. But it came out great. 12 hours at around 230, it was sitting at 185 when I got hungry and decided that was close enough. It sure was. The one on the left is salt & pepper only, the one on the right has a simple spicy/sweet rub. Not a huge difference in taste between the two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky