• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

It's Dilly Asparagus Time ~ Refrigerator Style

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Q13IxEk.jpg

Asparagus is $0.97/lb at my Kroger affiliate store, so I picked up 5 bunches. I use the "Kosher Pickle - Refrigerator Mix" by Mrs Wages.... so no processing is needed. But jars of veggies must stay in the fridge, they are NOT self stable. For this application you should start with freshly washed jars, then sterilize them in boiling water. I'm at 5400', so I allow 15 minutes for that step. Veggies take about a week to cure, and have a fridge life of 4 months. I blanch the stalks for 3 minutes, and follow with an ice bath. I make Dilly Beans the same way, but use a 2.5 minute blanch. I actually like the 'crunch' of refrigerator vegetables over processed ones.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I saw the asparagus on sale. That looks like a fine use for it. I’m sure those are awesome.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.