It is Begun! My First Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, now I find that I've stepped in it and I need to see if you guys can help bail me out.

When I designed the FB door, I used a sliding plate vent system, also borrowed from MTMSEVEN.But, unlike him, I did not account for hinge placement, and now I find that I have nowhere to place my lower hinge because the sliding plate is in the way. Observe...

(note, the bottom is not bowed, it's camera distortion sue to my angle and focal length.)

I could make it work by cutting the opening on the right side of the plate off, but there's a catch... I have a rifle bolt and receiver that I plan to use as the door latch, and it has to go on the right side of the door. So. I need to figure out a good way to hinge the left side of this thing. My brother in law doesn't want to weld on the door any more than absolutely necessary for fear of springing it, as it's already had to spend some time in an industrial press to keep it in shape.

We tossed around some ideas and didn't settle on anything concrete, but we have a couple ideas. I really want to know if anyone here has any thought on how we can overcome this major design failure on my part.

would like to see it with the door in the open position... what I'm thinking is a HD piano hinge type deal... put that side of the hinge on the inside of the door... have a door jamb on the inside for that part of the door to seal to ... . does the edge of the door wrap around the firebox when closed ?? or doea it butt up to the edges of the fire box ?? hope that makes sense....

You could just weld a small tab at the bottom of the door to hold the hinge, Just smooth the edges so it looks like it's supposed to be there. When it's done nobody will even question it.

So the door looks like it just covers the opening by about a half inch or so ??? maybe fabricate a piano hinge's tabs with the same thickness metal as the door.. and then butt weld the edge of one tab to the edge of the door... is there any kinda of frame or bracing on the back side of the door ?? or is it (the door) just a flat piece of metal ??

I've got 1 idea.....

Remove the red part of the slide damper.... You don't need it....

Fashion hinges something similar to the ones shown.....

Weld the hinges as shown or similar....

Add heat proof door seal BEFORE you weld the door.... buy good stuff.... don't skimp on the door seal, you only have 1 chance to get it right.... Just tack the hinges to make sure they are in the correct position... tacks will hold forever.... there is no strain on the door and then it can be adjusted in the future...

Last edited:
Dave, great minds think alike... I had that thought as well,but I need to have the hinges on the left side of the door so I can use the rifle action as the door latch. I was shown a nice looking weld-on hinge that I may try, it's low profile and looks really nice.

What do you recommend for a door seal?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
If you do a decent job on the firebox door you shouldn't need any seal. If you look at most high $ smokers they do not put a seal on the firebox door and their vents don't look nearly as nice as yours.

Is it permissible to post a link to the hinge I'm considering so you guys can give thoughts on it?

SO I'm told the link is a no-no. Fair enough. The hinge JckDnls posted below is the one I'm eyeballing.

Last edited:
So given that the door overhangs the FB opening 1/2" all around, would this still mount properly? Would I need to weld the hinge to the edge of the door instead of the face? My brother in law says he's not seeing how it will work, so he's exploring other options.

I was worried about swelling too. Especially with piano hinge, which is another option we're considering.

Dave, great minds think alike... I had that thought as well,but I need to have the hinges on the left side of the door so I can use the rifle action as the door latch. I was shown a nice looking weld-on hinge that I may try, it's low profile and looks really nice.

What do you recommend for a door seal?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

ok.. so when you cut the end of the vent off as Dave suggested you will be able to slide the vent to the right to open... leaving a couple inches on the left side of the door to weld your hinges on... I like Ribs way of thinking about the weld on hinges binding when things get hot...

Ok, I see where you're going. I hadn't thought of that. It wouldn't look as nice when open with one port having no frame, but at this point I think I can sacrifice on the aesthetics to make it work properly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky