Is This Right

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jasandalb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Okay....so here is my plan of action
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

I am planning on smoking sunday and getting the meat friday.

When I get it Friday night I am going to rub and marinate it, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge until Sunday A.M.

Sunday A.M. I am going to fire up the smoker and get it going to 220-250 since I am doing pulled/shredded brisket.

From there I'll put the meat on...........tend to the fire (hourly??) and monitor the internal temps (making sure not to open the smoker or as little as possible)

After the internal temps hit 200 (I read in a thread 200 for shredded) I'll pull the meat off, wrap in foil (or towels????
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
) Do I take it off immediately upon hitting this temp OR should I let it smoke for longer then pull off?
Then put it in the cooler for a few hours to let it "rest".

After that I should be able to shred the meat and I'll be set.

AM I MISSING ANYTHING? Granted the most important part will be the temps but am I correct?

sounds good to me........is this a packer.........or a flat.........and how much does it weigh.........that will be a BIG decider in your TIME, in deciding WHEN you put it on.........i normally pull miine off when it hits 170....foil, and finish up in the oven till 200........and i still slice it........tho you have to have thicker slices........after the first couple hours.........i like to spritz my briskets.......you cooking this fat cap up or down?..........

other than that..........sounds like you have a plan

Sorry for sounding ignorant but what is a packer and whats a flat?
Biggest slab is 6lbs. and I guess I'll do it with the fat facing up....

If I let it hit 170, I'll then pull it off and oven it to 200 for how long?
Keep in mind I dont want it sliced I want it pulled.

I don't marinade my briskets I inject them but I'm wondering about rubbing and marinading won't it wash off the rub? I too foil mine at 170 then take it to 200 either in oven or on smoker. I spritz every hour with 3 parts apple juice 1 part Captain Morgans Spiced Rum after the first 1 1/2 hrs. I do fat cap down the entire time still very juicy. Most important part is 200 internal temp however long that takes.

I cooked 2 briskets same size same rack a couple weeks ago and they finished bout 1 1/2 hours different as far as time goes but internal temp was the same different times spent at plateau

you let it sit in a LOW oven.......i like bout 250 in the oven.........till internals hit 200..........you will still be able to pull it.........thats why i mentioned i have to slice mine THICKER........to thin, then it falls apart.......i foil to collect any juices for the aus juice......hahahah.....how ever you spell it....spell checker can't catch that word for me.......then add to the pulled meat........

piney..........thats why i smoke fat cap down..........and only start spritzing after a couple hours..........that lets the rub "BARQ" up abit......so then it won't wash off

so its not really the time spent in the smoker or oven but the time it takes to get to 200.

So, I'll let the meat get to 170....pull it off and wrap in foil. Then into the 250 oven until the internal hits 200. Once that magic happens pull it out and let it calm down? Or just open and shred away?

Jas when its done you want to foil it if you didn't already then wrap it in a towel then place it in a empty cooler and let it sit for an hour or two to redistribute the juices then you can take it out and pull it

let it rest..........let the juices redistribute thru out the meat.......couple hours some of us let it go..........let it in the foil............wrap in a couple towels........put it in a blanket lined cooler...........it will stay hot for HOURS..........then pull..........

Yea I do mine fat cap down as well I was talking about him bringing it home and rubbing it and marinading it at the same time. I was thinking marinade Friday night rub and saran Sat. then smoke Sun but I'm not 100% sure about that

piney.........sometimes a "MARIANDE".......is just a dry rub, for anywhere from a couple hours to over nite........doesn't have to be a "WET" marinade

Ok I learn something new everyday I thought marinade involved liquid and dry meant a rub.

See you taught me something new again today
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yeah, when I was talking about marinading I was talking about putting a rub on it, wrapping in plastic wrap and putting in fridge overnight.
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky