IS THIS A GOOD DEAL??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bonnie b

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Hampton (Buckroe Beach), VA
Found this on Craig's List......

Those of you who know me know I'm looking to buy my first smoker so just looking for some feedback.

Have not spoken with the guy yet -- but according to his listing...

He wants $125 and that includes the handmade table on casters (which I think is sweet). Doesn't say what kind of MES it is or how old, but it has never been outside, has always been kept in his garage. He's cooked about 30 to 40 meals in it. Works fine. Only reason he's getting rid of it is that he says he's a grilling/smoking nut and ready to move on to something different (he's even willing to trade, so I believe he's honest). He's even willing to deliver it.

Would you jump on this deal if you were looking to buy? Are there any negatives to buying 'used'....other than the obvious "buyer beware"...???? Thanks for any input y'all have !!

If it's an analog MES instead of digital, I've seen them in the $180-$190 range for years, new...sometimes on sale in the $150 range..the earlier generations of digital MES seem to be more problematic, so the analog may be your better choice. The cart is a nice piece and definitely offsets the used price of the smoker...probably worth at least $100 if you had someone build it for you...give it some touch-up sanding on the board ends and throw on a couple coats of urethane for protection and it should last for many years. If the smoker is still working fine, and he'll delivery it to boot, I'd say you're looking at close to $200 worth of goods, plus delivery.

Not a bad find at all for the coin he's asking, IMHO.

Eric

I'd jump on it. It appears to be the older digital model (same as I have.) They seem to be more dependable than the brand new MES's on the market. I'd love to have that cart for my set up.

Thanx guys!! He says it retails for $230....havent googled MES's yet cuz took me forever to get the thread typed last nite (tablet wasnt cooperating...lol) but will do so now.

Didn't know there were different ones...analog vs digital...since hadnt researched the MES...was outta my price range.

He does say "it is a truly a set & forget device with a digital thermostat & timer" so am guessing it IS digital.

I'm lovin the cart, too, MN490 and thanks for the weatherizing suggestion, Eric! A 'must do' since I'd be keeping it on my porch.

Think I WILL grab it up if it's still for sale.

Thanx again to both y'all !!

Looks like a digital (you can just barely see the controller on the back top). I have the MES 40 and love it - so easy to use, but not really set it and forget it - you have to add chips every 45 minutes or so unless you are using one of Todd's AMAZEN smoke generators, then it's set it and forget it! Great stand with it too.

Just got done emailing the guy...fingers crossed. 

How can you tell if its a 40?  Was just looking at this...is this it?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931663&cp=2568443.2568445.2598559.1260385

Was just checking out some reviews and videos of Todd's AMAZEN pellet smoker last nite!! VERY KOOL!!!  Will be my next investment, I'm sure....
For the price it's probably the 30", but there's no real way of telling from the picture. The link you included is the 30" and the same one I bought from Gander Mtn during their Black Friday sale for $130.00.

Last edited:
That,s the same model # as mine. MES30. I love mine and would not trade it for a newer model. The cart is a plus. If it,s too low you could always put it up on 8x8x16 cinder blocks.

Bottom line....good deal  go for it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky