Is this a Flat or what

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Was given this by someone that had it in there freezer to smoke this weekend for a New Years Party and was a bit confused. I went to make my spice rub in advance and went to look at how big it was and saw it was only 6 lbs and was wondering if this is just a flat or point or is actually a whole just tiny brisket.

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_164754.jpg
    IMG_20221229_164754.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20221229_164808.jpg
    IMG_20221229_164808.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 41
With this being a flat is there anything different I should do to cook it. Will there be anything that I should do differently on the trim. Wasn't really prepared to cook just a flat and have never done it

I've used Al's method for a couple of flats and really like the results.

Flat... Use some beef broth... mix some of your rub in it... inject it with that mixture... I would not trim any fat... Let it render down into the drip pan... will help keep meat moist... Use the rest of the beef broth in a drip pan underneath it while it's cooking... OH... If there is any blood in the bag pour that in the broth as well before injecting (flavor) ... you can wrap when it hits the stall or let it go nekkid (your call) ... If you wrap, save those juices and pour in the broth as well... After slicing (against the grain) put the slices back in the broth that was under it while it cooked...

Reactions: TNJAKE
For small pieces of flat like that, I usually just apply rub and put a foil pan underneath to catch the drippings. When it hits 150~160°, I put it down in
the pan with the drippings, add some broth or other liquid .... beer works good, cover the pan with foil, and continue cooking til probe tender. No trimming, either, just do it like it comes out of the package.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky