Is there any interest in trading some dried rescue sourdough starter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I'd like to gather a few grams of dried rescue starter for as many places to give my old starter/ Guido a little bump of strange. Introducing new bacteria into your starter keeps it healthier by introducing new yeasts from around the country. Let me know if you're interested in doing a rescue starter exchange. My starter/Guido is 100% organic it has been around the world in 5 of the 7 continents it is 90% Central Mills Organic AP flour and 10% Central Mills 100% " Dark Northern Spring Wheat grown in the deep volcanic soil of the Pacific Northwest".

Let me know, I'm game.
Dan

Just feed it some other flour. Rye and spelt are good. Same amounts of flour and water, feed 2x daily.

Here visit this site, read the whole page. My sister got some and she said its very good...and its free just about.

SHHHHHHSH
Dont tell anyone :emoji_astonished:
View attachment 487982
I've had my starter going for a few yrs now it was handed down to me by Anthony Falco from Roberta's pizza in Brooklyn NY. I know how to take care of a starter. I just want to give in a little jolt and some strange bacteria to shake things up a bit which is supposed to be good for the health of your starter. And seeing that most people have plenty of discard I thought it would be a fun little experiment that would only cost a couple postage stamps. All that would be needed is 1/2-1 gram of the dried rescue starter.

I have one that was started from breadtopia starter and a rye made from same. I have not tried to revive either so can't say they still good, Been kept in a sandwich bag in freezer. I can send if you want? Thanks. I will get one from carls.

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
I bet it will still work, heck yeah I'll send you some of mine in return.
I'll send you a message sometime Sunday evening.

Thanks a bunch.
Dan

Dan, we have starter from the 1800’s, that we bought from King Arthur, but use it every week. How do you dry it, would love to do an exchange, if you would be interested.
Al

Dan, we have starter from the 1800’s, that we bought from King Arthur, but use it every week. How do you dry it, would love to do an exchange, if you would be interested.
Al
Al, it's super easy just take some discard and pour it onto a cookie sheet that is covered with either parchment or wax paper. (I use wax paper) Then spread it out in a thin layer and put it into the oven for a few days with just the oven light on for a heat source. If it's thick you can thin it out with a touch of water, so it spreads nice and thin. Latex paint consistency or maybe a touch thicker works great.
After it dries just crunch it up and store in a ziploc in the freezer. I've sent my dried starter to 5 or 6 guys on the forum with instruction how to reactivate it.

Which is basically just like feeding your starter by adding 1 part water and 1 part H2o and a gram or two of the dried rescue starter. I've had a rescue starter in the freezer for over a year, and it comes back to live every single time. It's great to add a pinch or two to your starter now and then to give it a boost after it's been in to refer for a month or more. Or to send to friends and family, so they can get their own starter going.

If I can do it anybody can, and I mean that.
Dan

Might want to get bregent bregent thoughts on this. I would think you wouldn't want to put to many together?
Not true, the more "good" yeasts combined the better.
Eventually it will go back to where you started because the yeasts in your area will take over once again. But from what I've been told by some well known Pro pizza makers and Bakers at a class I took at the Culinary Institute in Napa CA is that it's good to add strange yeasts to your starter every now and then to stir things up a bit. (Give it a little kick start if you will).
It was explained to me that it's like adding different bacteria to your compost pile, it will only make it stronger. (It made sense to me).

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I've got a bunch dried that I could share with you if you'd like Dan. Let me know.
Awesome, I'll message you my address.
1- heaping Tablespoon will be perfect.

It's going too like we are sending blow in the mail... that is so 1980's.:emoji_joy:

When I've sent it out to others I've always written "sourdough starter" on the baggie just in case.

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Looking to get a start going. Been reading up on this. One more cooking project.
Send me your address in a message, and I'll send you some dried starter it's so easy to get going that it's crazy.

Dan

Al
Just spread thin coat on parchment paper and let dry. I keep mine in freezer but than some say don't?

Look what came today. Envelope was cut and baggy to but most of its there I think.

20210519_133026.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky