Internal Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsommer9

Original poster
May 25, 2007
Nebraska-Lincoln
I just did my first pork butt and i was wondering how important it is to get it all the way up to 200 degrees? i took mine off right about 180 and it seemed to be cooked fine but maybe not as tender as it could have been. Is it unsafe to eat under 200 or maybe just preferable? Thanks for the help.

It is safe to eat @ 165°. It just won't pull good until the 195°-200° range. So, to answer your question, it depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If it doesn't pull well and that is what you were wanting just chop it up. It should still be some good eats.

Heres a link to a butt i did a while back, info and pics for a good pulled pork http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=4309
good luck next time
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You did the same thing I did on my first butt, took it off too soon. If you foil it at about 170*, take it on up to 200* take it off spray it good with apple juice re-wrap and place it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a couple of hours you will see a wonderful change in tenderness.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I spritz mine with apple juice often and take it to 190 degrees internal. Then I do a FTC with additional 1/8 cup of apple juice for two hours. Tender and easy to shred.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky