Interested in smoking bacon, please advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgsrx07

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Hi,

I recently got a GMG pellet smoker (Jim Bowie) and I have been smoking like crazy the last couple weeks (5 racks of ribs, 4 tri-tips, 2 salmon, and a pork shoulder).  I have been reading all of the great info you all have been posting about curing and smoking bacon and want to give it a shot.  The only problem I am running into is the temperature of the smoke.  The lowest I can set my smoker is 150deg and I noticed most of the smoking occurs btw 100-140.  I am worried that 150 may be too high.  Can anyone please advise me?  Thanks!

Different fats, in the pig, melt at different temps.... same with beef, lamb etc.... You do not want the fat to melt while applying smoke....
I cold smoke all my bacon below 70 deg. F..... After smoking, the temp can be raised to partially cook it.... I prefer to not precook my bacon... Dave

Melting point
backfat: 30–40 °C (86–104 °F)
leaf fat: 43–48 °C (109–118 °F)
mixed fat: 36–45 °C (97–113 °F)

@DaveOmak  thanks for the info! I wish I could cold smoke.

I have been reading that some people do cold smoke and some do hot...Is there anyone that does hot smoke for their bacon that can weigh in on this? thanks!

@DaveOmak  Sorry I'm not too familiar with the AMNPS, I can just fill it up with pellets, light it and place it in my smoker and it will cold smoke? What temp does it run at?

Mine will elevate the smoker temp about 15 deg.... It all depends on the ambient temp, air flow through the smoker.... They are great.... you can cold smoke in a cardboard box.... They were designed for use in an electric smoker.... In a gas smoker, the flames will consume the smoke.... there are things you can do to make them work though...
There are many threads dissecting the AMNPS, AMNS and AMNTS that Todd has designed and sells.... You can call and talk to him directly if the forum doesn't answer your questions... He has sales on this forum on a regular basis.... smokers, pellets etc....
Dave

Here is mine in what we call "Mailbox Mod"....... Using the MB mod, I find no increase in smoker temp... and it works well during a warm/hot smoke also....

Since my Weber 22" Kettle can't go low,

my bacon has been smoked for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 200-225 -

and it is the best bacon I've ever had.  Still has fat and

lots of smoke flavor.  I am looking at getting a smoker that can do cold salmon, etc.

Since my Weber 22" Kettle can't go low,
my bacon has been smoked for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 200-225 -
and it is the best bacon I've ever had.  Still has fat and
lots of smoke flavor.  I am looking at getting a smoker that can do cold salmon, etc.

Try putting 1-2 briquettes and some wood chips in it.... If necessary, wrap the chips in foil so they don't catch fire.... that should give you a low temp.... put a couple small holes in the foil so the smoke can escape.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky