I went out for BBQ tonight...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hannibal

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Monroe, MI
A buddy of mine wanted to meet me for a beer and some dinner. He picked Slows BBQ in Detroit. I haven't been to Slows for quite a while. The last time I was there, it was before I became a member here and before I started smoking my own food.

Slows is a great place with a good atmosphere, good food, and great service; but I noticed something tonight.

I have only made a few briskies in my smoking adventures, but by following the advice of you guys and following some great recipes, I have been able to benefit from the tips and tricks to produce a very high quality smoked product.

I dare say that the last brisket that I made was much better than the brisket I had tonight at Slows. I am not knocking the restaurant; I guess I am just impressed with my success in smoking thus far.

Am I being big headed?  Or am I just getting accustomed to a better class of BBQ?

Definitely the latter
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Most of us had that same AHA! moment  somewhere down the line.

Most q places dont have or wont take the time Our ways of low and slow cooking take.

i have tasted q from a few places that was as good as what i can put out . these places do it the low and slow way and they do a certian ammount and when its gone that's all till the next day.

Brisket is one of my all time fav's I love it but at most bbq joints I pass.  The only BBQ joint I order brisket from is the Salt Lick near Austin Texas by far the best brisket I have ever had.  My wife will only eat my brisket because she says the rest taste like roast beef not BBQ.  I think we just have higher standards for BBQ.

I totaly agree. The first time I ordered ribs from a BBQ joint (since I started doing my own that is) I was totally disapointed. And I have'nt been doing it long either.

I'm sure I'll still order Q from time to time just to compare though.

I agree with the general sentiment here, and think that's the major downside to a BBQ joint, in general.  It's hard to make something taste fresh that takes so long to cook properly.  Therefore, many places take shortcuts so that they can have it done quickly, and that just doesn't come out as good.  The ones that know that and still want to put out good product follow eman's plan (just cook some, and then that's it until the next day), but they also have the problem of limiting their sales, and not being as profitable as possible, thus increasing the rate of failure for the joint.  I think that's the way to do it, but you have to be clairvoiant to cook enough, but not WAAAY too much, leading to more waste.

My idea is to take that route, and the next day offer the leftovers as a "fridge pack" or something similar at a discounted price, refrigerated, that customers can take home and have later.  Sure, it won't be as good, but I think we all know that leftovers can be damn tasty if they were good the first time, and that would help you have less waste/increase profitability.

It's also hard to swallow the price most places want for thier BBQ as well. After making a 14 lb. full packer brisket for $20, I have a hard time justifying a 6" 1/3 lb. chopped brisket sandwich for $8.00! lol

It's also hard to swallow the price most places want for thier BBQ as well. After making a 14 lb. full packer brisket for $20, I have a hard time justifying a 6" 1/3 lb. chopped brisket sandwich for $8.00! lol
That too, but us cooking at home for fun, don't have to worry about all the overhead a business has.

icon_cool.gif

Well for me it's not just a BBQ joint it's just about all restaurants we ever go to. I'm second guessing WHY we went there and I can and do smoke, grill, or cook better then most of those restaurants that we go to. Now it is true like Bob (eman) said that we take more time and LOVE (as we put it) into our food. But then we don't have to feed either 10 to 25 folks the same meal over and over and all at different times too. The main problem that I have found and I'm trying to fix the whole re-heating problem that the restaurants have to do do. Now I have found a way (with a steamer pot) that works for me and we all have to find our own way of re-heating our own foods. But I have never found a BBQ restaurant that can smoke anything as good as some of the folks around here can. There are alot of folks here that if they said that they were smoking a Nike shoe I would have to see how they (and I know they did) made it taste wonderful.

for those of us in love with Q, equalling and surpassing the quality of our favorite BBQ joints is a source of unending joy

i just wish i would've been hip to this scene about 20 or 30 years ago!  LOL

That's why I don't mess with Mexican much at Home, I want to have a restaurant I am still willing to go out to. I've been passing by the BBQ joints now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky