I want to get serious

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BillinTex

Original poster
Nov 30, 2022
I'm a retired newspaper editor from Oregon now ling in Sweetwater, TX. I have a Weber Genesis and a Traeger Pro on the patio, and somewhere in the garage, a Luhr Jensen Little Chief, which hasn't seen much use since I left salmon country. Also have smoke tube.
I'd like to put together a small vertical smoker with precise temperature controller that will allow me to smoke/cure sausages such as Portuguese linguiças and chouriços at low temperatures and maybe someday try a country ham. A guy on my old fishing forum, Ifish, mentioned that he installed an Auber PID on his Masterbuilt and made it a far more precise instrument. Look forward to learning here.

Hi, and welcome from Iowa! Add an auber pid and your masterbuilt will be a great smoker! When I added mine it holds within 2 degrees of set point.

Ryan

Welcome from Mississippi. Lots of guys with the mod-ed Electric smokers on here. They'll have you fixed up in no time.
Jim

Reactions: BillinTex
Great outfit with PID.
Doing sausage as we speak in MES 40
5° outside and it hasn't strayed from 160° - 165°. Love this smoker
I would love somebody near me to want to get rid of a mes 40 for cheap...but no luck yet. Be room for more

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky