I Tri-tip, because I don’t always want a whole brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm pretty sure I accidentally did the opposite of this tonight. I picked up a "tri tip" from the store. I noticed that it didn't have grains running in different directions, but I just assumed that it was a part of a tri tip. Did the reverse sear, got it to about 130 degrees and then sliced across the grain. After cutting and tasting it I believe that I bought a piece of a brisket flat that was mis labeled as tri tip. It was tough and nothing like the tri tips I have cooked before. Now I know you can cook a tri tip like a brisket, but cooking a piece of brisket like a tri tip is not advised.
That sounds like a disappointing lesson to learn, but definitely an important one. I'll be sure to pay more attention to the grain in my tri-tips now too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky