I Need a New Grill/Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Spent awhile watching videos of the RT1250 and others, read a lot of really mixed reviews on several poopers and... I do believe we're going to be ordering the RT1250
As far as pellet burn, the 1250 will average about 1 lb an hour at 235, and a bit more at 265. Above 375 it’s closer to 1.5 and above 500 2 to 2.5. I pay 14 for 40 lbs of Costco pellets….translates to 35-40 hours of smoking.
Thank you, that is the sort of info that is invaluable going into getting a pellet pooper.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Spent awhile watching videos of the RT1250 and others, read a lot of really mixed reviews on several poopers and... I do believe we're going to be ordering the RT1250

Thank you, that is the sort of info that is invaluable going into getting a pellet pooper.
I think you will like it, they have them dialed in to perform!

The RT-1250 is a great option. I went with a Louisiana Grills SL1000. I am very happy with it. It has the grate that opens to grill. Also has a PID controller. I got it from Costco for $600 so it was a great deal.

That being said If the RecTec was in the budget at the time It would be hard not to get it.

Reactions: chilerelleno
RT 590 owner, hasn't missed a beat. I think you would enjoy the RT 1250. I use Lumberjack pellets ,didn't care for the RT pellets at all. Tried the Bear Mountain but they seemed to be a little longer cut so didn't feed properly. I could tell from the temp swings. Gave them to a traeger friend, he liked them. Good luck chilerelleno chilerelleno

I know it’s not on your list but I’d consider a Masterbuilt gravity feed too. The food that my buddy cooks on his darn near rivals that of stick burners. I wouldn’t say the build quality or customer service rival Recteq but price point is lower and food is spectacular. Temp range on them is like 200 up to 700 so can do some searing and other unique things too.
I would love to have that but with the price of charcoal so high guess stick with the pellet pooper.

My Minister of Finance gave me the nod to use the card.
Ordered last night, put my own bundle together.
Should here this week.

I'm like a kid waiting for Santa!

Payday is Friday,
maybe I'll splurge big time and cook eggs and bacon on the griddle plate I got to go with it.

Last edited:
Let's hope you were a good kid this year, or santa may bring you a coal fired smoker.

Chris

• Haha
Nice choice John… I’m sure you’ll be happy with that rig! For what it’s worth, I got a Camp Chef DLX 24 with a PID… has treated me right!

Was going to do RT… but run into a 1/2 off Grand Opening sale on the CC… figured for $350 wasn’t too bad of deal!

Look forward to seeing your new setup and maiden voyage!

You'll be happy with it, I got mine on a RT Sale when you could add the RT-340 with the purchase of the 1250. I use the little 340 most of the time when its just the 2 of us. When the whole family is here there are about 25 of us. The 1250 has made some great, big meals. I had a little problem with the 340 when temps got cold (near 0) called customer service and they walked me through adjusting the feed rate. It's been solid ever since. There are so many products on the outdoor cooking market its mind boggling. Looking forward to some new recipes from you.

Congrats on your choice.
Don't forget to get a few bags of pellets before the grill arrives.
Kinda like getting those Christmas toys, but forgetting to get the batteries!
I ordered one 40lb bag of RT Ultimate Blend and one 18lb Mesquite.
That'll be enough for the initial 🔥 burn-in, and probably some chicken and ribs.

I'll see what my Costco and Sam's carry, and maybe make a run to pickup some Lumberjack.

I ordered one 40lb bag of RT Ultimate Blend and one 18lb Mesquite.
That'll be enough for the initial 🔥 burn-in, and probably some chicken and ribs.

I'll see what my Costco and Sam's carry, and maybe make a run to pickup some Lumberjack.
Hopefully, they all come in the same shipment. ...

Costco up north carries Traeger comp blend. My buddy (RIP) loved them and I picked up a sack for him when we stopped there. I didn't like the flavor or the cost.
Sam's carries the Smokehouse brand pellets. I didn't like the lack of flavor, but the price is great for a basic heat pellet.
I haven't seen any pellets in the central Florida area Sam's or Costco stores.

I'm a day late and many dollars short but what I'd add is that searing with a pellet machine can be done well (or medium rare ha ha) but only over a limited amount of the total available grill space. So a couple steaks no problem. But if you're making steaks for a party of 18, you probably want a gas or charcoal grill or 1250 size. (Pork butts for a party of 18? Also no problem on just about any pellet machine.)

When it comes to wood, I agree with others; the cheap pellets seem fine. I just don't taste the beneft of the more expensive/better brands. But many rectec owners do, or at least it seems from other threads.

We're getting the RT1250.

625" per grate is more than what each grate on my old CCSV24 had, and I seldom used more than two grates at a time.
Chiler, you will be using the two grates of the 1250 all the time now....... ie not for volume but for drip pans under chucks........

2chucks.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky