I Need a GOOD Summer Sausage Recipe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ibebirdman

Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Over the last year or so I have made 3-4 summer sausages recipes from Kutas, Eldon and others and to be honest, nothing has really blown my socks off.  I have the smoke and texture worked out to my taste, but it all seems rather bland (yes I use fresh spices), maybe I have burned out my tastebuds with too much Habanero Tabasco sauce over the years.

I have trolled around this site and many others looking for things that look good or at least different. Most seem to be derivations of the same things.

Anyone have a recipe that they think stands above the average summer sausage?

Thanks

Joel

The one from the Marianski's website is my favorite...

I do add a little more mustard seed and garlic to mine tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure about the tangy flavor, I have tried both ECA and Fermento and neither really "spoke" to me.   

I did stumble across a recipe last night that looked interesting looks to have about twice the spice per pound of meat than other recipes I have tried. The Nutmeg and Basil looking interesting too:

Tangy Summer Sausage

25 pound batch - 12 1/2 pounds lean beef or venison and 12 1/2 pounds semi-lean pork (the original recipe was a 50/50 mix but we like our summer sausage leaner - we changed this to 20 pounds venison and 5 pounds of pork for our liking)
1 ounce - Cure #1
12 1/2 Tablespoons - Salt
5 Tablespoons - Onion Powder
5 Tablespoons - Garlic Powder
5 Tablespoons - Black Pepper (coarsely ground)
2 1/2 Tablespoons - Mustard Seed
5 Tablespoons - Sugar
5 teaspoons - Nutmeg
5 teaspoons - Basil
5 teaspoons - Coriander Seed
2 1/2 Cups - Ice Water
1 1/2 Cups - Powdered Milk
3 ounces - Encapsulated Citric Acid (ECA) ((this was not in the original recipe, we added it for a tang taste))

Think I will give it a go,  Not really sure what I am looking for, but I will know it when I see/taste it

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks

Joel

I tried cultured buttermilk powder and it did nothing... I've used ECA and it's OK if you're in a pinch but nothing tastes like a true fermented sausage. You should look at the bactoferm line of cultures.... I used LHP and it's fast fermenting... I've just bought some F-LC and haven't tried it... I think it's a little more controllable... You can control fermentation with both your dextrose level and temp

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky