I Made The Sausage today and found out....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davemo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
i really need a sausage stuffer!!!!! Everything went smoothly till we tried using the meat grinder with the stuffing attachment to stuff the casings.The sausage got a few air bublles in it but mostly it was just difficult to get the sausage down the throat of the grinder to the tube .The meat pusher kept getting stuck in a vacuum in the throat of the pan and i would pull it out with a big ole pop! Sooo... are these vertiacal stuffers the bomb or more like a dude???? seems like if ya can pack 5 lb at a time or more and get all the bubbles out it would work great any comments? suggestions? thanks in advance DAVEMO

WHY YOU PICKING ON ME?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOL........j/k

verticals rock from what i have read........trying to get into this other hobbie for a bit.......been reading all i can find

Dave, I agree with Huey, the vertical stuffers work best. However, I have found that if you use your grinder as a stuffer, first grind the meat like you want it, then take out the cutting knife and the grinding plate. You will find that stuffing the casings goes MUCH easier. stuff the ground meat down into the auger before you turn the grinder on, that will force the auger to seat securely into the motor drive. We have had no problems with air bubbles or gaps in the sausages. Once my son and I discovered that trick of removing the parts, the grinder worked very well. It is actually fun to stuff casings now.
wink.gif

Yes sir, that is exactly what I am saying. The auger forces the meat forward, therefore the auger is forced backwords, seating it firmly in the motor drive. I thought it wouldn't work either, but after watching the auger run, I saw that it would work perfect, which it darn sure does. Try it, you'll be amazed.
icon_smile.gif

I agree with Terry. We have made quite a bit of sausage with our Waring Pro grinder and the sausage stuffer attachment. If you grind the meat first then remove the plates and push it through it works great.

i agree with texes hunter the lem is a great machine. but i would try what big arm said first .you might already have what you need.

Well I'm sure gonna have to try it.. I've read somewhere where a kind of cross piece is available to hold the auger in, but I understand that it kind of makes a tight little rope from the fat & sinew, & here I just went & bought a 5 lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly to make the stuffing easier.. Does the Lem have plastic gears like the Grizzly???

Dave -

There's usually a sausage plate that's wide open to hold the auger in.

Johno -

Lens 5 and 15 lb stuffer both have plastci gears - they are vertually identical to Grizzlys and right now they are on backorder at Lem. You can however purchase metal gears for and additional $29.95.

If your grinder is a smal neck one maybe thats the problem.
I Form th e sausage into balls with my hand and drop them into The neck of the grinder. No grinding plate. Cabellas grinde has a gizmo that goes in front of the auger((looks like a flat propeller)
I really would go for the stuffer if i had a small meat grinder.
I still think that a stuffer might be better in any case. Just a hunch

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky