I am terrified

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
St. Louis ribs are a good 1st cook. They won’t take too long and are more forgiving than baby backs.

As others have said, get your fire burning clean, let your smoker hit the desired temp, put your ribs on, get a comfortable chair and enjoy your favorite beverage! Keep an eye on the temp and have plenty of dry wood pre-cut and ready to go.

Enjoy the cook!

Reactions: JLeonard
Add wood. Light fire. Add meat. Learn fire. Drink beer. Eat food.

If you're lazy like me, you'll suck at the "Learn fire" part and lean more toward the "Drink beer" part.

I have a digital controller on my offset. haha.

St. Louis ribs are a good 1st cook. They won’t take too long and are more forgiving than baby backs.

As others have said, get your fire burning clean, let your smoker hit the desired temp, put your ribs on, get a comfortable chair and enjoy your favorite beverage! Keep an eye on the temp and have plenty of dry wood pre-cut and ready to go.

Enjoy the cook!
And with a little practice you'll be able to feed the fire and reach the cooler all without leaving the comfy chair.

Jim

Reactions: TripleLindy
Good advice given so far. 50~75° temp swings are just normal on stick burners. With some practice, you may be able to tighten the swings up some, but it's really a non-issue nor is a little dirty smoke after you have added more fuel really an issue.

Get a 4 probe digital thermometer and put the probes in various spots on the grill to see where the tem you want are located in the cooking chamber. No rule the ribs needs to be in the middle. Also what kind of wood are you using? Different woods impart different flavors. Most of all have fun. You will learn and the bbq will get better with practice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky