Howdy from Kansas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobby-b

Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
south-central Kansas
Howdy from Kansas!

Short time member, first time poster. Thought I had better stop by roll call and say hi.

I have smoked a little but in July on a rainny afternnon decided to build my own smoker. To broke to buy one. I used materials I had using a 4 foot by 2 foot 3/8 steel drum. I built a 16in x 16in x 16in fire box. and have a cooking surface of 23inx36in. This is a shoot from the hip buid, no calculator, just thought it might work. This is a picture in its early
94019e27_downsize.jpg

stages of the build. After my first smoke of a pair of briskets, not happy with out come it went back to the shop  with some ideas from you all I converted it to a reverse flow. I now have it on old steel wheels and first coat of high temp paint. Need to add a shelf across the front to set things on. These things are never done.

My second smoke on this unit was a pork loin which cam out beutiful, every body loved it. Last weekend smoked a 10lbs pork butt for pulled pork. This was a spur of the moment deal so the rub was only on for a couple hours before I put it on. Cooked around 225-250 till internal temp of 160. I mopped with apple juice and burbon. Poured the remainder on it when I foiled. Cooked to 200 and put in cooler for an hour. Came out great. I also had a DO of fresh apple desert on the grill and from the respose of those eating it was great too.

Thanks for all your help and look forward to sharing and learning more on this fantastic hooby.

9b6b0c9e_pulledpork.jpg

Bobby welcome to the forum.  Great looking smoker, I love home built ones.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
 The pork looks outstanding too! Looking forward to your input here.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Bobby to SMF. I really like you home made smoker and it looks like it works pretty darn well with the pork that we are looking at to. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Last edited:

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome, that home built smoker looks like it can turn out some good food. Love to see the scratch bult smokers. Looking forward to seeing more qview from you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky