How to store smoked cheese?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I placed the cheese on a rack above a metal pan full of ice. Only once has the cheese melted slightly when the temperature got to 125, but it certainly didn't melt completely. This is Velveeta we are talking about which I really don't think qualifies as true cheese since it can sit out on a shelf without spoiling! I think it's really some sort of plastic made to taste like cheese! :-)

No matter what it is, it makes great cheese dip!!!

What is the purpose of adding the olive oil? I just smoked cheese for the first time last week, going to do more this weekend.

In the fridge.

Have had some smoked cheeses for over 2 years now. Longer they are left the better they taste.

I think I stumbled upon something cool. With my 2nd or 3rd batch I decided to mix types of cheese in the same vacuum bag but I didnt want them touching, so I wrapped each piece in parchment paper. Something about wrapping it in parchment paper I think causes it to create the little white balls or beads you see on really expensive cheese in a pretty short time, like a few weeks. I had to google it when I first noticed it, but it's the amino acids releasing from the cheese. I cant say it makes the cheese taste better, but it's different and interesting.
Fyi, I vacuum seal mine in small batches straight out of the smoker and usually try to wait at least a week before opening the fist one to eat. I have noticed that even when it's not vacuum sealed the smoked cheese takes a LOT longer before it will mold over. I found a small block in the work fridge that was only in a ziplock. It had been well over a month after opening and it only had the slightest sign of mold starting in two little spots.

I've smoked my first batch of cheese. I Vacuum sealed it. Now how do I store it, fridge or freezer? Thanks In advance.
Hello mkriet,

In order to answer your question, it would be helpful to know the type of cheese you smoked, hard, semi-hard, soft, or creamy as they require different means of storing, a simple container, vac-seal or waxing are the most common.If you are storing hard or semi-hard cheese for a short period of time, cheese paper may be used.

If storing hard or semi-hard cheese for longer periods you may vac-seal or wax. Be advised though, using cling wrap or vac-sealing can suffocate your cheese, not allowing it to age as it would in wax, also depending on the plastic used, you may find your cheese can take on a plastic taste.

If vac-sealing, don’t worry about moisture on your cheese. Mold is caused by oxygen reaching your cheese, not moisture. Cheese such as cheddar that has been aged for a number of years will naturally expel moisture within its packaging. You may find an example of that here.

2016 Christmas Gift Cheese - Aged - Smoked - Waxed

I let my hard cheeses air dry at room temperature before vac-sealing for cosmetic reasons as moisture can cause streaking on the surface of the cheese. I will let it set overnight if my intent is to wax, this allows a thin skin to form on the surface, which to me, allows for better waxing as you don’t want to wax cold cheese.

Hope this helps a bit.

Have fun smoking your cheese,

Tom

Reactions: lunchmeat
I sliced and vacuum sealed mine and freeze it after it thawed I never noticed texture difference we smoke and shred it and freeze it all the time !

I sliced and vacuum sealed mine and freeze it after it thawed I never noticed texture difference we smoke and shred it and freeze it all the time !
Many do as you. You will most likely find that the harder the cheese the less change in texture, as there is less moisture loss due to freezing. 

Glad you are enjoying your cheese.

T

Reactions: fullsmoke
So I am going to smoke some cheese this weekend. It seems that everything I have read says not to freeze it. Is this true? I plan is to:

1. Smoke cheese

2. Let rest on counter the rest of the day and over night. 

3. Next day vac seal cheese

4. I have not idea.... Put all packages in fridge or freezer? Will it keep in the fridge for 6-12 months?

Thanks

So I am going to smoke some cheese this weekend. It seems that everything I have read says not to freeze it. Is this true? I plan is to:

1. Smoke cheese

2. Let rest on counter the rest of the day and over night. 

3. Next day vac seal cheese

4. I have not idea.... Put all packages in fridge or freezer? Will it keep in the fridge for 6-12 months?

Thanks
What type of cheese are you smoking?

i am just going to buy the cheap block cheese that's on sale at Kroger. They 1.79 piece

Okay, let's hope it's cheddar. Cheddar is a semi hard cheese so after smoking, if it shows signs of moisture on it, place it on a rack inside a open ended bag. When the moisture has dissipated you may vac seal it for short storage. If you plan to store it for 6 to 12 months, consider waxing. Waxing will eliminate the chance of your cheese taking on a plastic taste.

I am assuming that you are new to smoking cheese, if so, good for you. While you are getting a good price on your cheese, buy an extra block for testing, it will be well worth your money. Take one block and cut it into bite sizes. As you are applying smoke to your cheese, take a sample every 15 - 30 minutes and when you find the taste that you are desiring, pull the other cheese as it is done. Doing this will eliminate the long rest period from over smoking your cheese.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy your cheese.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm new to smoking cheese. This will be my first attempt. How long is short storage? And can I just keep these in the refrigerator or is it best to freeze?

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'm new to smoking cheese. This will be my first attempt. How long is short storage? And can I just keep these in the refrigerator or is it best to freeze?
You are welcome. 

I consider short storage for hard cheese, after smoking, 1 month, but have stored it longer. Presently, I have some cheddar in it's original packaging that is 10 years old.

As for you, let's take smoking cheese one step at a time. Yes, you will be able to keep it in the refrigerator. Refrigerating will allow it to further age somewhat as it is in plastic, but not as well as if it were waxed. Freezing changes the texture of most cheeses and stops the aging.

If you desire, I suggest you PM me.

T

I just opened a vac sealed hunk of hard cheese 14 months old no mold everyone liked it. I have smoked Boursin once and it won't age well so I tried it after two weeks it was just like a ashtray.

I just opened a vac sealed hunk of hard cheese 14 months old no mold everyone liked it. I have smoked Boursin once and it won't age well so I tried it after two weeks it was just like a ashtray.
b-one,

Soft creamy cheeses such as Boursin are meant to be consumed, not aged. Only hard or semi-hard cheeses should be aged. I would toss it.

As for the ashtray taste, that is a indication it was over smoked to begin with.

T

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
b-one,
Soft creamy cheeses such as Boursin are meant to be consumed, not aged. Only hard or semi-hard cheeses should be aged. I would toss it.

As for the ashtray taste, that is a indication it was over smoked to begin with.

T

No argument hear Mr T! One of these days I may clean up my act following some of your great posts! I tossed the cheese it was just a hunk for giggles. I don't smoke enough cheese in my opinion,currently,to get to much into it.

Are the cheese blocks that I was mentioning from Kroger considered hard or semi hard cheese? I'm going to pick up a variety of them today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky