How to Keep Turkey Warm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matte1782

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm smoking a Turkey for Thanksgiving. We play golf at 8:30, then eat at 1:30. So I have to have my turkey done by 7:30, but warm and ready to eat at 1:30. I'm considering a few options. 1. As soon as it's done, wrap it in foil, cover in towl, and put in a warming drawer or cooler, and hope it stays warm for 6 hours. Feel like it might, but not sure. Never had to keep it warm that long? I'm spatchcocking for whats its worth.

My other option I'm considering is smoking it tonight, letting it cool, covering and putting in the fridge, then tomorrow have my fiance pull it out let it rest on the counter for 30 minutes or so, then warming in the oven at 225 degrees till the Turkey reaches 135 degrees. This is not my preference as my fiance is worried about oven space, and would prefer not have to rehaet the Turkey day of. She said she will do it if she has too.

What are yalls thoughts? Any other ideas?

What smoker you got? I have MES and would would just lower it to 140F to keep warm. Keep the bird out of the oven unless your wife and family REALLY like smoked food. :emoji_laughing:

Put it in a foil pan and cover it tightly. Then throw it in the cooler with old blankets. The skin might get a little rubbery but it will stay warm.

Other option would be to cook it tonight. Let it rest. Carve it up and into a foil pan and the fridge. Tomorrow toss a little broth in the pan and stick it in the oven or smoker to warm back up.

Other option would be to cook it tonight. Let it rest. Carve it up and into a foil pan and the fridge. Tomorrow toss a little broth in the pan and stick it in the oven or smoker to warm back up.
That's how I'm doing it this year, and since I have a pellet pooper, it won't be a big deal to use it to reheat the turkey. That will leave the oven free for other things.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky