How to hot smoke chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
2 chickens, 2 cans of beer, 1 smoker, 1 tank of propane, some wood chunks (or chips), a thermometer (preferred) and about 2 or 3 hours of your time should be all you need.
icon_cool.gif

Man...all this yardbird talk, I'm gonna have to do some this weekend
icon_smile.gif

Me too! I'm thinking maybe a couple spatchcocked cornish hens for dinner. Should I do them Cajun, Greek, or French seasoned?

How do you do it?

I start w/ about a cup of EVOO, 1/2 head of garlic, 1/4C of fresh oregano (or a couple tsp of dried), give it a spin in the mini processor then slather the pre salt and peppered poultry. The longer it sits the better.

Of course there's always Caventer's Greek seasoning as well. I used to buy a lot of it but it got where I was using so much that I started making my own.

My greek is pretty much the same but with lemon. I've never smoked with my greek prep, always grilled, but tomorrow will be the test.

No measurements; I go by look. If i had to estimate, it may be:

1/2 Cup EVOO
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Teaspoon fresh coarse cracked pepper
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
This is for 4 good size chix breasts

What I do is salt and pepper the meat, let sit for about an hour while combining all the other stuff in a 1 gallon ziploc. After that hour is up, put the meat in the bag, fondle it a little
icon_neutral.gif
and toss it in the fridge until I'm ready to cook.
For tomorrows bird I think I'll do them in halves using that method, but not brine them. I wanna see for myslef if there is a huge diff. between the brine vs. no brine.

Tomorrow I will adapt your method of fresh oregano & garlic and use the processor
icon_cool.gif

We shall see!

Hey BF and Okie, thanks for the greek tips. I just bought some Cavender's yesterday to try out. I was planning on doing a couple of yardbirds next week... I'll use the Cavender's on one and try what you guys mixed on the other.

Stay tuned...

BF, Dude they are really good looking chickens. You Da Chicken Man!!!!
I wish mine would come out looking like that. Mine are always darker, but yours are what I wish mine would be. Now I have to try harder, thanks for that extra little push.

Hawg,
I'll put a couple dollars on saying, that you may find the homemade mix better than the store bought. The Cavenders will add "flavor" to the meat, but there's something about the combo of olive oil, lemon and oregano that brings out the true taste in your cook.

Smokin'
I think my birds take on that golden hue because the skin gets a rub of olive oil before going in the box. Add to the fact that my temps aren't as high as most like to do chix. My wood catches fire easily, so I keep it around 275°ish and go slow. I don't eat the skin anyway unless it fried, and even then I try to hold back because that's where all the fat is
PDT_Armataz_01_16.gif

Smoke safe gentlemen
icon_cool.gif

i have done the beer butt chickens both ways indirect heat on the grill and in the smoker both are great.
smoker takes about 5 to 6 hrs at 200 to 220 for a 3 to 4 pound bird remove when food temp hits 165 to 170 let rest for 1/2 hour then chow down

Well,My beer can holders came to day and I am anxious to get to smokin..One question though..My wife is afraid of the aluminum in the cans making the birds taste funny..Is there any thing to this at all..Or is it an old wives tale?
icon_evil.gif

Ok i'm just about ready.....I have 2 chickens approx. 3.5 lbs a piece...I plan on doing them the beer can method....Question-using this method DO I still use water in the pan or not..DO I leave the pan in there? I am going to run about 225 to 250 degrees. Does this sound about right? I am figuring on maybe 3 hours for the two of them...Tell me more if I need to know more...Thanks

Ok,here's my report..Just finished the 2 beer can birds..Cooked them at 275 to 300.Used the thermom.Until the temp. got up to 180 degrees..I put a chicken rub on as well as the olive oil...The really looked nice..And they tasted good as well..I want to say thanks to all of you that gave me pointers,and ideas.. I used hickory chips and I think I should have added more after the first hour..But the instructions that came with the smoker said you only need to smoke for the first hour..Any thoughts on this will be appreciated as well.....Johnny
eek.gif

How long you apply smoke would be a matter of how smoky you want the chix. The fed gov't has recently changed the "safe zone" temp for chicken to 167*. This will yield a much juicier bird. I've been doing them to 165* for years w/ no problems.

How true it is, especially when grilled. Here's one of our favorites in the EVOO, lemon, garlic and oregano arena. It takes a little prep time, but isn't all that labor intensive:

Light summer fare. especially good when the oregano is abundant in your garden. From the Amalfi region of Italy.
by Smoky Okie
4 servings

timer.gif
2¼ hours 40 min prep

4 to 5 medium lemons, juice of 1 head garlic, crushed and minced 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 7 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 split broiler-fryer chicken salt pepper garlic powder ground oregano
Not the one? See other Grilled Italian Lemon Chicken Recipes
  1. Combine first 6 ingredients and whisk well to make marinade.
  2. Combine last 4 ingredients and whisk to make chicken seasoning.
  3. Prepare grill for direct/indirect grilling.
  4. Season chicken on both sides.
  5. Sear chicken over direct heat, then cook indirect to approx 145°F internal temp (slightly underdone).
  6. Remove chicken from heat and cool until cool enough to handle.
  7. Cut chicken into large bite size chunks (i.e. a breast will usually make 3 or 4 chunks, a thigh makes 2, etc.).
  8. Place pieces cut side down in baking dish.Use a dish of such dimensions as to keep the pieces standing up against each other.
  9. Pour marinade evenly over chicken and let marinade 30 minute.
  10. Meanwhile, preheat oven (or gas grill) to 375°F, then bake 40 minutes.
  11. Serve on a platter and spoon half of juices/marinade over the top.
  12. Remaining juices may be served on the side in ramekins, or bowl to be passed.
  13. Note: You may substitute Caventer's Greek seasoning for the last 4 ingredients. We do.

Crewdawg - I tried 2 chickens today while over helping a friend get his first smoke going. (martinhouse2000) I used what you said below. It turned out great. thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky