How to clean the inside of the CC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Piemdp

Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Hello,

My wife seams to be affraid with the taste of the meat.
So i Ask the question about cleaning the inside of the cc before seasoning with oil.

Maybe a Big fire before ?
Does Karscher with pressurized water is ok ?
do i have to sandblast the inside ?

the cc'inside is pretty clean, no rust inside.
Actually, it smels Steel and weld.

Thanks for helping.
And sorry for my english, i am frenchy boy !

Reactions: JLeonard
If it has never been cooked in/on, build a big fire and burn it out and then you can season with cooking oil. If it has been used before and you want to clean it, many use a pressure washer. I personally just wipe it all out real good and cover mine up. Never leave ashes in it for an extended period of time as they will draw and hold moisture and rust it from the inside out...

Reactions: Piemdp and JLeonard
I'm the type of person who writes down what I do and how to do it in case I forget or need to go back and check. I have to qualify my thoughts with the particulars of my smoker - it was a reverse flow horizontal with a grease trench down the middle of the RF plate. The grease trench led to a grease drain pipe with a 2" 1/4 turn ball valve. Cooking, I left that valve open all the time. On a big cook I would sometimes get over 2 gallons of grease coming out that pipe. I learned to go up to the paint store and buy their paper containers that they sell for people to use for one-off paint holders. I would drain the grease into those and then put it into my freezer. The morning our yard waste gets picked up I'd put the frozen grease, still in its paper bucket, in our yard waste bin. (Where I live you can put fats into the yard waste since they use sophisticated composting techniques that can handle meat scraps and fats.) That's one aspect of cleanup that I do during the cook.

After the cook I let the cooker get all the way cold. The first thing I'd do is to open the firebox lid and use my shop vac to vacuum out the ashes. I used one of the extensions and that did a good job for me. I never had any problem with my firebox rusting.

The next thing I'd do is to take out the cooking grates, set them down in the grass of our yard, and pressure wash them with a small electric pressure washer I bought used for $15. That got all the heavy chunks and grease buildup off and left just a super thin sheen of grease which kept the racks from rusting.

When I built that cooker, I bought a common garden hoe and heated the neck to red heat and straightened it out, turning it from a hoe into a long-handled scraper. I cut the handle in half. I used this tool to scrape the cooked-on residues on the RF plate loose. After all the chunks were free, I would again pressure wash, this time the RF plate. That cooker also had another 2" pipe with ball valve which was the washout drain. I would have both the grease drain and washout drain wide open while pressure washing.

I built a log lighter (propane burner) in the firebox of that pit. After all the cleaning, I'd run a small propane fire for 20 minutes or so just to get things dry.

That is my method. That cooker never smelled rancid in the 3 years I owned it. Always sweet.

seattlepitboss

I would just wash it down with some dish soap water and the. Spray it out with a hose to get any metal flakes out from manufacturing.....once it’s dry wipe ri down with some canola oil or grapes seed oil if you can get it, try to wipe of any excess oil then fire it up and run it at 350 to 400 for an hour..... let it cool the cook away.

Between cooks scrap our any grease and wipe down. Before each cook get it hot then spray it down with water to steam it then cook away. Pretty simple

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky