How often

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
This may have been asked and a quick searched didnt give me any results.

How often do you clean the inside of your electric smoker? I clean the racks and water tray aftrr every use, but what about the interior walls, inside the door, etc?

ZRUSQ3N.jpg
I have vintage Big and Little Chiefs, that I mainly use for smoked fish... but on occasion I'll do a second smoke on hocks / shanks, or chicken breasts which have been brine cured with my version of Pop's Brine. The lid will get some flakiness and I use a brass brush to clean that. The sides and the frame for the grates has a hard smoke finish, that I've never cleaned.

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Ok, so I dont feel as much of a slob as I thought I was, took the grill brush and putty knife to the inside earlier and scrubbed all the removable parts, racks water pan, drip tray on the bottom.

Now on to my next venture, breaking out my amnps tray Ive had sitting around for a cpl yrs and never used. Always learning

Reactions: chopsaw
Now on to my next venture, breaking out my amnps tray Ive had sitting around for a cpl yrs and never used. Always learning
I use a tube with a mail box , but always wanted a tray .
Last year John ( Bearcarver ) sent me one of his trays . I can't get that thing to stay lit to save my life , but I'll have to try again soon .

I use a tube with a mail box , but always wanted a tray .
Last year John ( Bearcarver ) sent me one of his trays . I can't get that thing to stay lit to save my life , but I'll have to try again soon .
Should be easy, rght, light tray, let it go for cpl mins, pull smoke tube out a lil and let it gom

Gotta small bag of apple pellets to give it a try, see how it goes. Supposed to be amost 70 tomorrow and no plans for the hokiday, may have to play with it a bit

Should be easy, rght,
I hope it takes right off for you . I'm not saying it won't . I can light the tube , just like you say , and it burns for 6 hours plus . The tray just won't run for me . I've tried dust , pellets , new pellets that had been stored in the house , light it and let it sit outside ,,,, it just won't burn . I know guys nuke the pellets ,, I'm not doing that .
I would like to get it going because it was one John used . A lot of guys use them , not sure what I'm doing wrong .

Foil everything grease drips on except racks for easy clean up. Turn drip pans upside down and form foil over the outside to not tear the foil and then slip it inside the pan. Dry wet grease spots on walls with paper towels and regular vinegar if needed. Flat black dry patina walls are perfect. Periodically knock off creosote flakes on the ceilng with a paper towel and upper walls so it doesn't fall on your food.

There is a commercial salmon smoking/packing company in Seattle that my wife (then girlfriend) used to work for. It's been a long time, but I think the one time I saw their wood-sided smoking room, it was about 12' x 15'. maybe bigger. You could smoke a lot of fish in there at once.
They used to brag that they had never cleaned the walls in decades.

(As a side note, when she came over straight from work, my dog Lido, would cozy up to her and completely ignore me. She was dog-approved.)

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Water pan every time. Maybe 2-3 times a year i knock some stuff off of the sides and top ( ive never really been too concerned about that part) I do make sure the bottom pan is cleaned more frequently and the grease port isnt clogged up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky