1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much cheese is needed for Summer Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by tprice, Dec 18, 2010.

1. tprice

tprice Fire Starter

I have been making some summer sausage the last couple months and have been using the High Mtn  package with

good results.

Well I have ordered some more supplies from High MTN and from Butcher and Pack and this time when I ordered from

B&P I picked up a 5lb package of cheddar cheese and 1 lb of pepper jack.

My question is what ratio is a good one for adding cheese to my mix, still sticking with pre-packaged mixes for a

while till I get more comfortable with everything.

Wife is wanting me to make several logs for Christmas presents and does not want me to experiment right now

By way i am using venison

2. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

For summer sausage the ratio's I use are -

19 1/2 lbs venison

5 1/2 lbs lean pork

1 1/2 lbs cheddar cheese

1 1/2 lbs swiss jalapeño cheese

For summer sausage, brats, hot dogs, etc. I use hi temp cheese. I have seen others use regular cheese with success, but when I have used regular cheese it melted and wasn't able to see it in the slices. Taste was there, but I also like the appearance of cheese chunks with the meat; just my personal preference.

3. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Personally I go with 10% cheese and like MossyMo I use the high temp type and like it better

4. tprice

tprice Fire Starter

Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking.

I did get the high temp cheese