how many pay twice for internet??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rc4u

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 4, 2015
we dont use cable or satellite for internet or movies. wife , i, daughter n grandaughter have the verizon plan. i dont have any other internet besides my data and hot spot. i use about 250 gig of data a month and 30 gig of hotspot. they say may slow data if busy after 75 gig but never happens. but afte my 30 gig of hotspot it does slow. i cast movies to my tv{smart tv samsung model q80, 65 inch} very rarely does it buffer. used to pay direct tv for football but now just use dofu.com app and get any game on to tv.. when we go camping so many people dont know how to mirror or cast to smart tv's. for normal internet i just usb tether. but hulu, netflix, prime, discover we just share between us as u can have up to 4 on some but sling is single less u upgrade. and i live 4 miles out of town only 2 bars.

I have Xfinity internet and Verizon Cellular. the verizon plan is prepaid and thus very affordable. the Xfinity is VERY fast and runs 4 tvs, 2 phones, 4 Roku and two tablets. I dont pay for cable TV, just Netflix and amazon prime. OTA TV I broadcast over the wifi using a Tablo TV box transmitting to the Roku which is very cool. Cell service at out house blows, so we cant stream off a hotspot well if at all. two bars is a luxury we rarely see.

rc4u - Thanks for wake-up call. I'm an old Radiohead and love wireless, and not the satellite, but the true radio wireless. But old habits, like landline phones AND internet black boxes are hard to give up. Most of us still recall the 300/1200/2400 baud rate over telephone lines and our black boxes are nostalgic.

It's scary that after all these years of using T-Mobile with unlimited internet, the wife is still reluctant to give up the COMCAST/XFINITY internet. And we live within the footprint of a local tower (>1/4 mile from it?!) Now that we are "remodeling" our 30+ year old house, I think I might be able to convince her to let me get rid of the "black box" that now appears to be in her way when doing things!! LOL!!

BTW - Read a trade article that most of the 5G provides are now using the C-Band spectrum to handle the additional frequencies and traffic load. Pretety soon people will have the 3meter dish in their back yards again?! LOL!!

Thanks for sharing. 🍻
John

we dont use cable or satellite for internet or movies. wife , i, daughter n grandaughter have the verizon plan. i dont have any other internet besides my data and hot spot. i use about 250 gig of data a month and 30 gig of hotspot. they say may slow data if busy after 75 gig but never happens. but afte my 30 gig of hotspot it does slow. i cast movies to my tv{smart tv samsung model q80, 65 inch} very rarely does it buffer. used to pay direct tv for football but now just use dofu.com app and get any game on to tv.. when we go camping so many people dont know how to mirror or cast to smart tv's. for normal internet i just usb tether. but hulu, netflix, prime, discover we just share between us as u can have up to 4 on some but sling is single less u upgrade. and i live 4 miles out of town only 2 bars.
Most of this is Greek to me.
We get internet from Comcast and that's it. It's reasonable. The Mrs. watches shows she gets from the internet.
I don't watch TV and as long as my laptop gets a signal I'm good. If not, I don't stress about it and I don't know squat about gigs of data.
Guess I'm a Dinosaur.....

Comcast for the net, pu a bunch of local channels, stream netflix hulu Amazon ect, was paying $180+ when we cut the cord 8-9 years ago, way less than $100 these days

I do think it takes some work to get the right balance. Much depends on where you live. But also working over the options. Prepaid Verizon is only $50 a month per line for unlimited, but no hot spot (can be added). Post paid would have been $70+. f we could get the kids all on with us it would be less, but they are not wanting to change (facepalm). Comcast/Xfinity needs a call every year or two to renegotiate, but last time I called they lowered our price and locked it in for 2 years. I would never pay for cable or dish TV. Once we dropped it we immediately felt so much better and watched way less crap.

Comcast/Xfinity, only because we live in a community where our HOA fee pays for cable service. We also have Xfinity Mobile where the wife and I share 1 GB for $12 a month.

We live out in the sticks I guess. No cell service, no internet. We recently switched to Starlink satellite service and love it. Finally able to stream video, make cell calls etc. And best of all I can now listen to pandora while I'm out tending the smoker.

ATT Fiber here. 1000/1000 up/down with a tri-band mesh network at the house.

Yessir - rips the tits off of cellular!

may be faster than needed. i stream movies all the time. and internet is faster than i can respond. so the mere $95 for 2 phones is better than i need. used to to pay for cable internet$65, direct tv $110. plus phones. now we share prime. $45 each per yr. hulu my daughter gets free from work. netflix $5 each.. and my phone has 256 gig storage so just download movies for weekend watch

ATT Fiber here. 1000/1000 up/down with a tri-band mesh network at the house.

Yessir - rips the tits off of cellular!

it really depends on where you live. if i turn off the Wi-Fi while on a call the call drops. We are pretty much on Wi-Fi calling at home all the time. With Wi-Fi off I can make a call but it will drop. We pretty much get one weak bar, if there is more than one bar its a fluke. without internet service we are practically off the grid in our neighborhood.

Reactions: rc4u
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky