• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How Many Mes Owners Here?

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Well I have ran into my first problem with my MES smoker. I started to yardbirds earlier. Then went after my hour to add more chips and came up to a cold smoker. I know I set the Temperature to 235 and timer to 6 hours. I noticed the "Red Heating" light came on at the time. however after going check the chickens and add chips, the smoker was ice cold. This smoker is 3 months old and I'm kinda pissed that it has let me down so soon.

Any suggestions? Can I even bring it back to Lowes where I purchased it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chad
I put my remote in my pocket that came with my MES and accidentally turned off my MES.

Aug 3, 2015
I have only had my 30" MES for about 3 weeks but I am very pleased so far. I have smoked a ham, turkey tenderloins, deer jerky and a boston butt. All of them came out great.

yavin17

Aug 14, 2015
I love my 30" MES.  so far everything I've done in it has been great.  ANMPS was a huge + in keeping a good smoke overnight.

masterfader

Aug 15, 2015
I've only used my MES 30" twice so far but I agree with the person who said it was a smoker with training wheels. I needed something to get me familiarized with smoking and this is it! The only thing I do like about my analog model is having to open the door to replenish the chips.

coconuts

Sep 2, 2011
I am also on my second MES 40. Just picked up my second Gen 1 on 8/13/15. My first that I purchased in 9/11 started tripping the GFCI initially then during my last smoke it quit altogether. Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty with Sam's Club so I packed it up and sent it in for repairs. They said it couldn't be repaired and just sent me my money back so I just got another at Walmart.com for $319.00 as Sam's doesn't carry the Gen 1 anymore. Bought another 3 year extended warranty as well for $38.00.

Love the ease of smoking on this unit with Todd's AMPS but they do have their issues... I do like that they made the element more easily replaceable now. 

Hopefully this one will go for a while! 

pdpdad

Aug 3, 2015
I have a MES 30 from Lowes. Added MES cold smoke unit and connected it with  6 foot of  3''  duct.  This allows a real cold smoke.  When I am using MES heat I use the cold smoke unit because it does not need to be fed every half hour.

Last edited:

burghroots

Aug 2, 2015
We got ours from Amazon. The price was better than anywhere else, even with Prime. Happy with it so far, although it sometimes doesn't smoke as much as I'd like.

Last edited:

renorn

Jul 2, 2015
Hi,

I have had mine for about 8 months now.  It is my first smoker and I am finding it very easy to use.  That being said, it is probably my last smoker:  I see no reason to get another.

renorn

Jul 2, 2015
Only if this one breaks down and I can't repair it.  Seems like the heating element changes out easily enough.

novegan007

Sep 1, 2011
Positives out way the negatives, easy to use, plenty of room, simple to control. The only negative for me is that it retains too much moisture in the cabinet while smoking.....almost to the point of steaming the meat. The unit needs a vent near the bottom of the cabinet. I use a different unit for more technical items.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Positives out way the negatives, easy to use, plenty of room, simple to control. The only negative for me is that it retains too much moisture in the cabinet while smoking.....almost to the point of steaming the meat. The unit needs a vent near the bottom of the cabinet. I use a different unit for more technical items.
You aren't putting water in the pan---Right??

You're right about retaining moisture.

Bear

novegan007

Sep 1, 2011
No, no water in the pan. Moisture level (humidity) increases exponentially with the amount of meat in the box. It's a good overall smoker...just know you want get a bark on the meat.

dr k

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
No, no water in the pan. Moisture level (humidity) increases exponentially with the amount of meat in the box. It's a good overall smoker...just know you want get a bark on the meat.
I have a Kamado Akorn that is insulated and the vents are barely cracked and get a great bark (I guess because it's 1/3 the capacity of the MES.)  The MES has more air current than the Kamado.  I've only used two racks at the most so far in the MES.

-Kurt 

wa0auu

Fire Starter
May 14, 2015
WE LOVE IT !  WE have made some modifications to ours, we added a ROTISSERIE ! and a new electronic control box, we can now cook by temperature here 

They should be built like this at the factory !

This is the stand we built for our smoker as you can see we moved it UP off the ground !

I am an electronic engineer, there is a lot of electronics in this box !  We did make one change, we changed the pre set temperature of 145 to 250.  Th AC amp meter reads up to 30 amps, with a 1200 watt unit and 120 volts it should read 12 amps.  We did rewire the smoker with all number 10 teflon insulated wire.  Flip the switch to smoker and it works just like it came from the factory.  Put the switch down to modified and that is where the magic happens

Mom said the rotisserie in the smoker made the best chicken she ever had

wa0auu

Fire Starter
May 14, 2015
Use the wood pellets they give us a lot of smoke.  We put about 3/4 to 1 cup in at a time and they last about 45 minutes

be sure the tray is in the right place

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Wa0auu,

Wow---You don't fool around !!
icon14.gif

I never even thought about a Rotisserie!!!

But then I'm not an electronic anything!!
icon_redface.gif

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear

mummel

Master of the Pit
Apr 8, 2015
Wow guys! A rotisserie is a fantastic idea. I have one for my grill but don't use it much. Eats too much propane. But in an MES it looks like it would work perfectly!

How difficult was it to mod?

wa0auu

Fire Starter
May 14, 2015
Well, let me say this, no it was not a  " difficult " mod but it does >>take a lot of time, if you want a great looking job when you are through.  What we did was put a sheet of  typing paper inside the smoker on the wall so we had a place to mark on.  The rotisserie is centered front to back, for that we used a tape measure .  The side racks in the smoker have a  " dip " in them, we are right below one of the dips.   The measurement from the back to the hole is 7 1/8 inches      Then we used a square placed along the side and resting on the bottom to get a stright line going up that we marked on the paper.  With the tape measure, measure up from the bottom  19 1/4 inches  where the lines cross is where you will drill a SMALL pilot hole >>from the inside out.  NOw use a 15/32 drill bit and drill ONLY the outside, then with the same bit, drill the inside.     Move the paper to the other side, yu will never get it in the same place so take the measurements over  so you get the hole in the >>same place.  Again drill a small pilot hole.   When you are ready to mount the brackets, another person comes in handy because you need more hands. 

I should tell you, the rotisserie we used is a model 60090 made by Grillpro from www.grilpro.com, this is a HEAVY DUTY unit and they are not cheep !  But they are the best rotisserie we have ever used.  It comes with mounting brackets you need but not the screws you need.  We used short screws so they did not go through to the inside.    ( I see the photos are reversed  the 2nd one should
  be first.   When you order your rotisserie order a second pair of " prongs "  there is enough room in the smoker to do two  4 pound checkins at a time which takes two sets of "prongs "     looking at the top photo, this is where you need the extra hands.  Put the rod for the rotisserie through the holes and have someone hold a bracket in the right place and the other person drills the hole for the screw and puts the screw in.  When you have the first screw in then use a level to be sure the bracket is stright up and down and put in the rest of the screws and do the same on the other side.  Now put the end of the rod in the gear motor and turn it on, look at the holes in the side to see where it is rubbing and with a stone in a drill or dreamel tool, ream out the hole, do the outside from the outside and the inside from the inside.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky