how have I never found this before?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqlog

Original poster
Apr 22, 2022
I was looking up KCBS rules for chicken and ribs, and I found this wonderful place. First comp I'm hoping to be in is early June, anyone have a link or something with the rules?

I was looking up KCBS rules for chicken and ribs, and I found this wonderful place. First comp I'm hoping to be in is early June, anyone have a link or something with the rules?
Welcome from Tennessee. You can go to the kcbs website and set up an account. Then you will be able to see the rules. Easier to go to the website of whoever is hosting the competition though. They will have all the kcbs info posted in addition to the rules the venue puts in place. What's the name of the event you are planning on competing in and where is it located

Reactions: thirdeye
What Jake said would be the best way to find out the rules. thirdeye thirdeye I think has competed in the KCBS. He may be able to give you some tips.

Welcome to the site and good luck in the comp.

Chris

Reactions: thirdeye
Welcome to the neighborhood. I think for better document control, KCBS has a section on their website so you can download all of the various rules. They also have a database of existing team names that you can look over before registering your team's name. And TNJAKE TNJAKE is correct in that some contest websites often have a link to the rules as well.

Reading the rules is one thing, but watching some competition videos on YouTube will really help. There are in-person cooking classes that are very beneficial. And The Barbecue League is a membership site, and has some "tell all" videos which are quite good.

Attachments

• 2022 - KCBS_MASTER_Rules-2022.pdf
    141 KB · Views: 11
Here is a short video that presents some 'competition' principles to consider. It's a hobby with a whole different mindset.

Remember.... taste is weighted higher than tenderness, and appearance has the lowest weight factor. But all three scores have to work together.

Here is a short video that presents some 'competition' principles to consider. It's a hobby with a whole different mindset.

Remember.... taste is weighted higher than tenderness, and appearance has the lowest weight factor. But all three scores have to work together.

Just Wow! thirdeye thirdeye . That is probably the best video I’ve seen on basic bbq competition preparation. Excellent.

Welcome from Tennessee. You can go to the kcbs website and set up an account. Then you will be able to see the rules. Easier to go to the website of whoever is hosting the competition though. They will have all the kcbs info posted in addition to the rules the venue puts in place. What's the name of the event you are planning on competing in and where is it located
Thanks everyone, after searching the page a big more I found a link (probably smallest thing on the page) to go to for the KCBS rules. It's called Smoking in Steele, funny enough the website stopped working today so I won't link it. It's in southern Minnesota.

Thanks everyone, after searching the page a big more I found a link (probably smallest thing on the page) to go to for the KCBS rules. It's called Smoking in Steele, funny enough the website stopped working today so I won't link it. It's in southern Minnesota.
On Friday, I put a download in Post #8 above ↑↑↑ for the 2022 rules.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky