Hot Fast Butts - couple questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Hi All,

Im thinkin about doing a couple butts Saturday on the Rec Tec. I was sorta thinking about following my brisket temp model;
  • 180 (high smoke) for 3-4 hours
  • then kick it up to 275 or 300 till done.
The butts will be a costco two pack - i think they run about 8ish lb each.

Should work right? starting about 6-7a should be ready by 6p? no wrapping is planned.

and Rub night before or morning of?

its been too long since I cooked up some butts. And i need me some PP for some of Chilirellenos stuffed pablanos and buns! and of course PP samies!

I would say you should make it, if going to slow you could always wrap to speed things up a bit. also keep in mind though butts are funny there done when there done.

I’ve been doing my butts at 275 for a few hours and then 300 till done. I’m using charcoal so get plenty of smoke at 275. I cannot tell a difference at all between turbo cooking them and low and slow.

Density, foiling, and peeking will play a factor in your total time, but I think you'll make it.

Chris

excellent! many thanks!

Ill post up a thread with pics on the cook. shooting for Saturday.

if you put a metal rod thru center it speeds up cooking just like on rotisserie, ive done it. like no stall. I cut off a old rotisserie bar and use it on more than just butts. like 3/8" round or square. 3" out each end. I know again i'm not mr x..

jeff

if you put a metal rod thru center it speeds up cooking just like on rotisserie, ive done it. like no stall. I cut off a old rotisserie bar and use it on more than just butts. like 3/8" round or square. 3" out each end. I know again i'm not mr x..

jeff

I am not Mr x but I can see how that would help.

gets shiney good bark if ya spin it. gonna install holes n mounts for two rods on my hollow so I can do 2 at once or 4 chickens. 20191019_172140.jpg

Reactions: Neo
ya cool. all thru 70's n 80's we camped by the lake with all the uncles n parents and Friday nites fire was coals for buried everything meat. course then could camp anywhere on sakakawea the sand was perfect.{{don't tell any body but my wife now was only 16 then, so much younger}}

well, doing them rotisserie is not really an option, so I will go with smokin in the Rec Tec. :)

I did a couple butts hot and fast no foil and I personally didn't care for them. Bark ended up too tough and butts were not very juicy. But then again everyone else I have spoken to says they cant taste a difference so I might have just had an off day. Good luck look forward to seeing the pics!

well I use chunks and smokes same as my hollow. and smoke taste is all there. just a way but not always best or chance of for everyone. gudday

jeff

I've learned a lot here over the past year, and this gets added to the list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky