Hog casing for summer sausage in a pinch?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I just mixed up 5 pounds of beef summer sausage to smoke tomorrow for a camping trip this weekend. I would usually stretch out the process over a few more days but this time I'm just making sure the cure has 24 hours to do it's thing. My problem is I just realized I only have a couple small-ish fibrous casings left so wondering if I can use hog casings. Anything I can do to make sure the hog casing peels off easily if I go this route?

Ya shouldn't need to peel off a natural casing, they're edible. or do a casing less sausage like bear does.

Reactions: indaswamp
If you don't have a problem making them a little smaller in diameter, I have the fix. I do this for my Beef Stick, which is kinda, sorta like a summer sausage.

You form logs about 1.5" to 2" in diameter. I season with coarse pepper, then wrap in clear wrap. Tie off one end and twist to make the wrap tight, then tie off, use a twisty band or a zip tie.
J7BU7sd.jpg
y9g3qZy.jpg
I let mine refrigerate for 24 hours and they will firm up. The small diameter works better than a large diameter. Carefully unwrap and put on a rack and move to the smoker. Touch up the black pepper if needed. I smoke mine to 155° (you mentioned you added cure right?) . You could lightly spray with oil after an hour or two if you like.
EKuZCMa.jpg
i02lWMu.jpg
These guys look like there is a casing, but there is not, it's more of an edible rind. After you chill them down I'd wrap in foil for the camping trip.
TCJiRwS.jpg

Ya shouldn't need to peel off a natural casing, they're edible. or do a casing less sausage like bear does.
Thanks! I know I can eat them, it's just more of a preference. Sometimes natural casings aren't the greatest texture when eaten cold (at least the ones I can get around here in a pinch). I totally forgot about just doing them without casing.

If you don't have a problem making them a little smaller in diameter, I have the fix. I do this for my Beef Stick, which is kinda, sorta like a summer sausage.

You form logs about 1.5" to 2" in diameter. I season with coarse pepper, then wrap in clear wrap. Tie off one end and twist to make the wrap tight, then tie off, use a twisty band or a zip tie.
View attachment 507473
View attachment 507474
I let mine refrigerate for 24 hours and they will firm up. The small diameter works better than a large diameter. Carefully unwrap and put on a rack and move to the smoker. Touch up the black pepper if needed. I smoke mine to 155° (you mentioned you added cure right?) . You could lightly spray with oil after an hour or two if you like.
View attachment 507475
View attachment 507476
These guys look like there is a casing, but there is not, it's more of an edible rind. After you chill them down I'd wrap in foil for the camping trip.
View attachment 507477
Thank you! Those look awesome!

For my summer sausage I hand roll and wrap in cheese cloth and tie with cotton string. I Usually make 1# sticks and I let them cure about 24 hours. Makes it nice to hang the sausage during smoking

I worked with a guy that made all his deer sausage in hog casings . I like it like that myself .

+1. One of the coolest parts about sausage making is bending the "rules". IMO no right or wrong here just different. IE I use brat mix for summer sausage.

Reactions: chopsaw
The guy I mentioned above does all sticks or hog casings . They dry cure . Hangs in a barn with a 55 gallon drum and plate steel for a lid / smoke control . Lights the fire every night and lets it burn out , then lights again the next night . Adds green hickory twigs to the fire .
It's lip numbing , but it's just an old school way his family did it for years , and it's really good .
When it's ready he cuts all the hog casing sausage into chunks .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky