Hobart Slicer 410

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

H. E. Pennpacker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 29, 2019
North Central Indiana
Hi all,

I have just acquired a working Hobart Model 410 slicer here for practically nothing ($25). I have a few questions regarding lubricating and cleaning/polishing the unit. I had to use a little WD-40 on the slides to get the cutting width adjustment working properly and I got everything freed up and operating smoothly. But I would like to break this thing down and degrease it and possibly polish the aluminum parts. The reassemble and lube everything up with the proper lubes.

So my question is around what can I use to degrease this that is not too harsh on the polished parts and is ok for food equipment? Also, what can I use to polish this once it is degreased that is food safe since food with be touching these polished surfaces? I think I have found some lube that appears to be what I need which is by SuperLube and they have grease and oil that is food safe. Looking for suggestions on if there is something better that I haven't found and is there any tips on using this particular slicer.

Thanks,

HEP, There are many polishes out there for aluminum but probably not food contact safe. Try vinegar or baking soda to clean aluminum. Also a lot of food safe lubricating greases out there. I have used a Cabelas product and Lubriplate to name a few.Most sausage supply companies carry food grade lubricants in tubs or spray cans.

This 1712 was left out in the elements for no telling how long. Fine (1000 grit) wet sand paper first off Than a polishing kit from Harbor Freight. 3 different grits of jeweler's rouge. 1 can of Mother's Aluminum polish. Doesn't make any difference if food safe or not. Once polished, you can clean up with hot soapy water, then a wipe down with a disinfectant towel and you're GTG. If done correctly, you won't have to polish/touch up again for a year or more. I've done two Hobarts this way without any problems

Attachments

• 2021-08-11 16.43.51.jpg
    2021-08-11 16.43.51.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 75
  • 2021-08-20 14.37.13.jpg
    2021-08-20 14.37.13.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 75
This 1712 was left out in the elements for no telling how long. Fine (1000 grit) wet sand paper first off Than a polishing kit from Harbor Freight. 3 different grits of jeweler's rouge. 1 can of Mother's Aluminum polish. Doesn't make any difference if food safe or not. Once polished, you can clean up with hot soapy water, then a wipe down with a disinfectant towel and you're GTG. If done correctly, you won't have to polish/touch up again for a year or more. I've done two Hobarts this way without any problems
Rex that makes sense about not having to be food safe to begin with. Once finished I can disinfect it like I do anything else.

You are welcome. For my slicer I use the petro gel. My grinder gets a light spray of the lem silicone.

I finally found mine!! had to drive 280 miles r/t to get it but happy to do so. $350 and it is pristine. Sharpener was in its spot. What a work of art combined with functionally and precision engineering. Cant wait to slice up my next batch of bacon! I contacted Hobart and s/n is from 1949.
EFAC1D86-50A5-4416-84FC-25CCFE0BF292.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: crazymoon
I finally found mine!! had to drive 280 miles r/t to get it but happy to do so. $350 and it is pristine. Sharpener was in its spot. What a work of art combined with functionally and precision engineering. Cant wait to slice up my next batch of bacon! I contacted Hobart and s/n is from 1949.View attachment 652996
HF, What a find!!!! That old and it looks brand new, back then things were built to last !

I finally found mine!! had to drive 280 miles r/t to get it but happy to do so. $350 and it is pristine. Sharpener was in its spot. What a work of art combined with functionally and precision engineering. Cant wait to slice up my next batch of bacon! I contacted Hobart and s/n is from 1949.View attachment 652996
Think that one was worth the drive, looks super, congrats!

HF, What a find!!!! That old and it looks brand new, back then things were built to last !

A shame our society went to accepting mediocrity as the new norm. And I am being generous in that statement!! The bacon is in the smoker so tomorrow I get to try it out!

This old Hobart on eBay. Was looking for a replacement for my broken chefs choice. Out of my league and too big for my needs but maybe someone else might be interested? And no, I am not the seller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky