Hobart 1712 CL Buy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brewdiver82

Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
So I was in the market for a good slicer in the $300-$500 range and I came across a hobart 1712 on craigslist for $200. Went and checked it out and the motor is strong, blade is sharp but the adjustment knob and dial was missing as well as a couple other things here and there like thumb screws, etc. Auto function works beautifully. Just a bit dirty from sitting in a storage room. Walked away with it for $160. I'm stoked, and I get a new project to work on :D

Upon further inspection, the back plate adjustment knob is off because it stopped working. Looks like the roll pin sheared off inside the shaft and worm assembly but I should be able to punch that out and replace the pin no problem. 99 cent fix. Went online today and ordered a sharpener and some various parts for it along with some bells and whistles to go with it. All in all I'm in for $450 bucks which is a hell of a bargain in my book. The rubber feet are gone, but I think that will work to my advantage since I'll build a 2x4 frame on a rolling cart for it so I don't have to lift the 140lb behemoth...

Now, with all the old grease and crud on it, does anyone have any tips on deep cleaning this beast before I put it into service?

Attachments

• 26678064_1713395055348527_1642419025971060287_o.jpg
    26678064_1713395055348527_1642419025971060287_o.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 41
Nice score!
That will probably last you a lifetime!
And your right, those big slicers are a pain to move around & clean.
Al

Hello Brewdiver

If you haven't already done so get the model and serial numbers off the data plate and go to https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcecenter/Pages/FilterByModel.aspx to download the operator and parts manuals. The 1712 is a great machine. There are a lot of them out there and, in general, parts should be available for many years yet.

I've refurbished and sold a number of Hobart slicers. I don't claim to be an expert but I'll try to answer your questions if you have any.

Good luck and congrats on finding a great machine.

Lance

The adjustment knob probably sheared off the pin due to the gauge plate being stuck. Usually caused by someone using pam or some sort of spray lube that eventually gums up those sliders. You might have to do some work on those before replacing the knob and shaft

My ultrasonic cleaner would probably be exactly what you need for all those gummed-up parts. This is what is was designed for. If you can find a friend or shop that would let you use one, it would probably only take 5-15 minutes to clean everything so that it looks like new.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky