Hmm, mushroom filler?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john suede

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Barrhead Alberta
Hey folks,

new to the site, but really excited to be here. I get the chance to bounce ideas off you folks before trying, or not since I usually chicken out.

Have any of you tried adding mushrooms in the mix? Im thinking of a recipe like bangers with the bread subbed out for mushrooms. They have a nice meaty consistency and can be flavour neutral. I am thinking about this because Im gluten intolerant and am looking for something to trade bread out for. Also, I see a lot of recipes for sausage stuffed mushrooms and thought they must go well together.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards

John

seafood stuffed mushrooms is very popular down here on the Gulf coast.  button mushies for bite size or portabelas for a bigger presentation.  Crabmeat, shrimp, oyseter, etc all good choices.  Onion, garlic, pepers, too much butter, and Cajun seasoning great mix and they pick up smokey flavors from the pit quite easily.  This is very popular BBQ apitizer at our house.  My wife is also a celiac and this is one of our go to things.

They do seem really tasty! Im wondering about using mushrooms in place of bread fillers inside the sausage tho. Or just as a filler in general. What do you figure?

I figure I NEVER use filler in my sausage.  Pure meat and seasonings.  When we make boudin we use rice as a cerial grain filler.  Now adays folks put all sorts of things in sausages so why not mushies.  portabellas or oyster mushies might be nice.

I dont see anything wrong with adding mushrooms to the sausage mix.  They would give you some moisture as well.  I have added mushrooms to my ground venison instead of fat for a buddy of mine for health reasons [i grind the mushrooms and venison together twice].  I use dry powdered milk to my sausage as a binder.  Go for it. Grind them with your meat. Do a small batch first to see what amounts would be good according to your taste and texture. Reinhard

Mushrooms would be a great flavor additive to some sausages.

They will not replace bread as a binder, though.

Lots of alternatives for binders, though.

Go for it and post up the results!

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky