High temp brisket. Lots of Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

badmoont2

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
North Arkansas Ozarks
I purchased my WSM 9 months ago and have missed only a few weekends since. So have a fair amount of experience, but have so far avoided brisket. I didn't like the high price of the large briskets offered at my local market and was not interested in an overnight smoke. While perusing the meat counter last week I came upon an 8.5 lb packer that wouldn't break the bank and decided to take the plunge. I have read about cooking brisket at much higher temps than the typical low and slow and decided to give it a try, my goal was to shoot for an average temp of 325.

I used a foiled terra cotta flower pot saucer in the water pan, so I could get and keep the higher temps. I used Ozark Oak Lump with hickory as a smoke wood.

Here's the brisket trimmed and rubbed down with Fiesta brand Brisket Rub. I did an aggressive trim to maximize rub penetration and cut the cook time. I injected with Low Sodium Beef Broth to which I added onion powder, garlic powder and soy sauce.

Going onto the smoker.

Had some problems with temp control started at 375 and gradually brought it down to 325. Didn't peek till 3 hours. when I did IT was 160 in the point so I decided to transfer to a pan and foil. Here it is at 3 hrs. I filled the pan with more low sodium beef broth and added some butter on top of the brisket before foiling and putting back on the smoker.

Pulled at 6 hrs IT 190 to 205, the thermometer probe went in like butter. I gradually lost some temps and finished around  300

I wanted to do some burnt ends so I split the flat and point.

Here's the burnt ends ready to go back on. I cubed the point, wet them down with the broth/drippings from the foil phase, added some rub, tossed, added a little BBQ sauce, tossed again and added a little more drippings. Started the burnt ends at about 250 and added some more hickory chunks. Then I put the flat into a cooler wrapped in aluminum foil and towels.

Here's the burnt ends after I pulled them. I planed to go 2 hours but I checked  them at 1.5 hrs and they looked done, besides my fire was going out and my smoker was down to about 200. The burnt ends were fall apart tender but had too much smoke flavor. Next time I may try a milder wood or maybe even forgo adding smoke wood when I put the burnt ends back on.

Here's the sliced flat after 2 hrs. in the cooler. I was happy with the smoke ring and the meat was tender and juicy.The bark was a little gooey and too salty for my taste, In my experience a mop can decrease too much salty taste in the bark so I may try a mop next time. A final finish sans foil would help set the bark.  All in all the high temp brisket was a success I will tweak and try again, thanks for looking.

Wow!  Everything looks great!!

If you continue using a commercial rub you may continue to experience saltiness.  Also, if you foiled to get through the stall you will get a spongy bark, which is not really bark at all.

Try making your own rub, you can find plenty of recipes right here on this site. Just remember that if the rub has brown sugar you don't want to smoke at high temps, but you can substitute turbinado (raw) sugar for the brown and it won't burn as quickly.

Great job on this one and fantastic Q-view!!!

Bill

If you continue using a commercial rub you may continue to experience saltiness.  Also, if you foiled to get through the stall you will get a spongy bark, which is not really bark at all.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions PGSmoker64! Calling the exterior coating on the flat bark was probably a reach on my part
icon_confused.gif
  I have come to realize that the purpose of the salt in the rub is to pull moisture out of the meat to help form the bark. In a thicker cut of meat like a butt it's not a problem but in thinner cuts of meat like county ribs or my flat, it's too much salt for my tastes. I use a butter based rub on my country ribs and it seems to wash away the salt.  I have been staying away from sugar in the rub as much as possible because of the possibility of burning, at the same time I realize sweet can balance out salt, perhaps this is why so many recipe's are sweet. This is actually what I like about smoking meat, there is no one right way to do it, the possibilities for experimentation are endless. Hanging around here is a great way to find new things to try.

No worries. I hope everything came out good. I have had many cooks of using what is on hand. Lately it has been more of that then pre planned.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky