Hickory smoked tri tip with black rub - Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
I typically do my tri tips over charcoal Santa Maria inspired (without a Santa Maria grill unfortunately) I got this new beef rub though and while I rarely use rubs someone else mixed up I wanted to try it on a couple different cuts. I did ribeye with it last week but not in the smoker. Here are the photos and while it came up to temp a lot faster in the smoker than I would of liked, it was tender, juicy and had a nice smoke flavor I usually don't get using my standard tri tip grilling methods.
Rub - Hardcore Carnivore Black - rested 3 hours in the fridge after rubbing
Smoker - MES40 with hickory at 225-235 degrees - took about 1.25 hours to get to 125 degrees IT
Sear - 22.5" charcoal kettle with hardwood lump charcoal - about 2 minutes each side
Had the baked beans under the tri tip in the smoker to make use of the drippin's
Mmmmmm good, I do like that rub. A little something different from my usual. Never thought to put charcoal in a rub but it works. Can't wait to see what kind of bark it makes on a brisket.

2.9 lbs trimmed
Trimmed TriTip.jpg

Rubbed and rested
Rubbed and rested tri tip.jpg

The sear
Searing the tri tip.jpg

Slicing
Sliced Tri tip.jpg

Sliced
Whole sliced tri tip.jpg

And plated - just enough left over for sandwiches...barely
Plated Tri tip.jpg

Looks perfect SM. Can't wait to try the HC rub myself. Perfect contrast to the juicy, red meat !

Looks delicious. Love HC black. Give loot n booty jalapeno garlic black a try if you liked that. It's even more delicious
IMG_20210118_204857.jpg

Veteran owned

Reactions: 912smoker
That is one fabulous TriTip.

I have not tried the HC Black, nor the Loot n Booty, but I am thinking they need to be in my supply cabinet.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky