Hickory Smoked Tri Tip: Nailed It (A Few Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks perfectly cooked and delicious, Robert. I love TT but the Mrs. doesn't so we rarely have it. The whole plate is fantastic. Great work.
Thanks Mike. I guess I'm lucky in that Tracy loves the beef, pretty much all of the cuts, as much as I do.
Great job on this Robert. I'd be very happy with that plate. Plenty of juice in that one.
Very much appreciate it. The low temp cook helps a lot to retain the juices.
I don't know how you deal with the tripple digits, too hot to do anything including going in the pool
Appreciate the kind words Cliff. The heat in the Summer is a trade-off for not having to deal with bitter cold Winters in the north. I have to respectfully disagree about getting to the pool though. That's what God made margaritas for: to keep you refreshed on your 5 foot trek from the patio to the pool :emoji_laughing:

Robert

That’s a beauty for sure. Like the color of the bark. TT is so delicious. Nice work.
Thanks so much. Not a whole lot of color to the bark but with the low temps, that stands to reason. This is fast becoming about my favorite cut. The TT's hit on all the bases.
Perfectly cooked. And nice sopping juices on cutting board.
Thank you Steve. The juices somewhat disappeared with the last couple slices of bread after we finished our plates :emoji_wink:
Robert my friend, you've got that tri-tip perfected!! Absolutely perfect doneness for us, I'll take a plate please and that au jus on the board. Hopefully one day that stuff will become more available around me..
Very much appreciate it my friend. Got plenty of the TT left but the au jus....not so much. It all went away with the last 2 slices of bread as we started cleaning up from dinner :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Awesome Plate Robert!!
Nice Cross Grain slicing too!
MMMmm---M!!
Thanks Bear!! I'm getting the last couple of roasts done in the same fashion you became famous for with your prime rib. The legacy lives on my friend!!
Looks darn good! Man you killing it of late.
Appreciate it Jim. Even an old blind dog is gonna find a bone once in a while :emoji_wink:
Man, that is beautiful! I’ve been using your technique of mid 200s to low almost exclusively since you posted that loin and it is incredible how amazing it makes the meat taste and look. Perfect! Hope the amazing protein helps your hair grow a bit faster
Jed...I am honored that you've adopted the cooking method. Truth be told, me stumbling across this was a total accident. The first tenderloin roast was cooking too fast so I just dropped the smoker temp to 200 in order to slow the process. It turned out the best roast I'd ever cooked so I've stuck with it. Not sure why my hair needs to grow faster though. As it is, I have to cut it once a month at least, which I hate doing :emoji_anguished:

Robert

Yup, you nailed that one for sure. Cooked to perfection and a nice looking plate. I haven’t done a TT in a while…hopefully I can get one going
Thanks Dave. Got lucky again it appears :emoji_wink: Yes sir, you need to fire up that Rec Tec and have a go at one.
Looks delicious, my next cook for sure. Will use yours as my model of success
I am honored that you fine the (accidental) technique worthy of replicating. This is the 3rd time I've cooked a roast this way and it's been flawless every time.
Perfect cook and beautiful plate Robert!
Now ya got wanting TT this weekend!
Congrats on the ride sir !
Thank you Keith!! I was surprised to see this one get the ride. Not exactly my best presentation by a long shot.

Robert

Very nice work, again!
Thanks Sven, and appreciate the summary. I was aware that tri tips were very popular in CA but had no idea that nobody knew how to slice them....kind of a shame I guess to ruin such a great cut of meat.
TT looks perfect Robert! I bet that was tender as hell. Especially cutting against the grain. Bravo, my friend!
Thanks so much Steve!! I managed to botch cutting a couple of them so now it's ingrained (no pun intended) in me to always check before cutting.
Fine looking piece of work there Robert, good job! I can remember when tritip was referred to as 'poor man's prime rib roast', now it costs more in some parts of the country, crazy.
Appreciate hte kind words sir. When I started buying them several years ago, it was the same concept. Maybe them getting popular was caused by SMF and all the retailers raised the prices :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Looks great, to many folks think you have to have burn marks on meat for it to be great, this post/picture proves you don't have to. Let the meat and seasonings shine without a burnt flavor sometimes, you might be in for a Suprise lol
Thanks Mike. I agree about the sear on a roast but kinda like it on steaks for some odd reason. With the sear grates that came with the Rec Tec that I use, they don't actually burn the meat, just make it darker....assuming you pay attention to the cook :emoji_wink:
Another beautiful plate Robert. Nicely Done!!!
Thank you Chris. I was really happy with the way this one came out.
You nailed that TT! Nicely done Robert, the ones from CPB are truly special.
Very much appreciate it Joe. You're right about the CBP roasts. First ones I got were prime from Costco. They were good but nothing compared to what I'm able to get now.

Robert

I agree with everyone here, you did perfect.
I just can't do Tri Tips, first off wife won't eat med/raw, so I'd eat alone.
But second, I've never had one melt in my mouth, always too tough.
I can try your method and see.
Thanks so much. You could always cook it to your liking, slice some for your wife, and toss hers into the microwave for a few seconds. We have to do that for Tracy once in a while. Yours being tough could either be due to slicing with the grain instead of across the grain (go ahead, ask me how I know this :emoji_wink: ) or just a cut that's a bit tough to begin with.
Done to a tee, Robert. That's Tri-Tip perfectly smoked
Thank you Matt. This ultra low cooking technique is really working out well for me.
And congrats for being on the spinner!
Thank you my friend. I was surprised to see this one up there. I guess they were just desperate for content when they got the carousel back up and running. Certainly not my best presentation by a long shot.

Robert

Reactions: eaglewing
Reactions: chilerelleno
Sure looks delicious! And perfectly cooked! Dentist time tomorrow so if I don't forget I'll have to stop to see if that butcher still has tri tips...it's only 45 miles.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky